MeinFieldsWhereTheyAreForgettinIAm

These QBs are really really good or I've had really good luck. Anyhow, I just played one where I opted for several bazillion MineFields.

I don't understand why my troops can't "see" the edge of the minefields, let alone why do they want to go traipsing in there la-de-da when they are looking for cover?

Perhaps it's modelled that my troops know the *secret paths* through there, and don't get hurt?

Second issue is that of course I can't *tell* if they are hurting me- when the battle is over, I can't "select" a minefield to see how many kills it has, let alone does CM tell me WhoKilledWhat in AAR...?

Eden

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

These QBs are really really good or I've had really good luck. Anyhow, I just played one where I opted for several bazillion MineFields.

I don't understand why my troops can't "see" the edge of the minefields, let alone why do they want to go traipsing in there la-de-da when they are looking for cover?

Perhaps it's modelled that my troops know the *secret paths* through there, and don't get hurt?

Second issue is that of course I can't *tell* if they are hurting me- when the battle is over, I can't "select" a minefield to see how many kills it has, let alone does CM tell me WhoKilledWhat in AAR...?

Eden

Your men will refuse to voluntarily move into a minefield (though they may move into one if panicked or worse).

You can tell if you are taking casualties from a minefield if one of your units is moving through it, you hear an explosion, and (often) the unit eats the dirt.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

You can tell if you are taking casualties from a minefield if one of your units is moving through it, you hear an explosion, and (often) the unit eats the dirt.

Also, if you click on the unit and follow it through the action, you will see it on the toolbar the instant they take any casualties.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Also, if you click on the unit and follow it through the action, you will see it on the toolbar the instant they take any casualties.

Michael</font>

During the finnish continuation war, a two seater plane was shot down, pilot who was never found and gunner/observer was found from a friendly minefield - what a sucky day, get shot down, survive it, but get blown up in own minefield.

Second issue is that of course I can't *tell* if they are hurting me- when the battle is over, I can't "select" a minefield to see how many kills it has , let alone does CM tell me WhoKilledWhat in AAR...?

Bump.

There's an art to placing mine fields and art hasn't shown up to my house yet. Maybe stats could help. Yeah, I know, all you have to do is look at the number of squads that enter the mine field to determine effectiveness, but it's still a nice tidbit for those of us who are into stats.

So, with that in mind, what do the experts/non-experts here say about stat usage in WWII? I assume there were stats in division reports, battalion reports etc. or whatever they were called. Tho, at the Coy level, most stats were probably kept in the head.

I forgot to include the non-experts. Don't want to exclude anyone, even the pengers.

[ October 12, 2002, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: JAT ]

I´m not too concerned about how many casualties the minefields cause (if any...), I think of them as a way to deny certain paths to enemy manouvers and funnel them into MG-covered ´kill-sacks´ instead.

I wish CM had a system like Steel Panthers, when you´d buy generic ´fortification´ points and then use them for TRP´s/minefields/wire depending on how the map looked.

Originally posted by Juju:

Erm, excuse me all over the place, but isn't it SOP to deploy your men on your side of the minefields? :D

I don't know all over the place. In MOP, (My Operating Procedures), and in MOPAOTP, (My Operating Procedures All Over The Place), they are placed where they are expected do the most damage.

Well in the QB I mentioned, it seemed to me that the best place for these fields was *not* too far from my front- better to put them where I can *force* the NME to seek that "cover" than it is to put it off yonder where they will merely skirt it thenceforward. Now when the time to counterattack came, why... there I am, on both sides of them and, yes, All Over The Place.

Also, I had some quasi-intentions for *luring* the enemy into some of those fields... that might have kinda sorta worked, but I was a bit outnumbered to notice.

Anyway! I don't see the argument against knowing where the pete your minefield is, now come on!!

Eden