Breech loading + gunner soundmods of field guns?

I've read somewhere that this will be a really nice idea to do: Breech loading sounds of the field guns as well as other relevant gunner shout sounds upon firing field guns.

Questions:

Is it possible to do this kind of sound mod? If so, is somebody like Scipio/Captain Whackey or other soundmodders interested in doing this? Please gentlemen. I beg thee...

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

------------------

If you compare ours with the best of French, South African, Spanish, Italian, Californian and even Chilean wines, we are definitely not there. But if you compare it to the worst of these wines, we are definitely better.

-- Anonymous vintner near Bangalore, India, 1994

IIRC, a few weeks ago Matt said something about these being put in CM:BB, feel free to punch me in the head Matt, if I am wrong. But on the topic I don't know how well this would fit into the current system, of CM:BO. It would be nice if someone could add them though.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WineCape:

I've read somewhere that this will be a really nice idea to do: Breech loading sounds of the field guns as well as other relevant gunner shout sounds upon firing field guns.

Questions:

Is it possible to do this kind of sound mod? If so, is somebody like Scipio/Captain Whackey or other soundmodders interested in doing this? Please gentlemen. I beg thee...

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

------------------

If you compare ours with the best of French, South African, Spanish, Italian, Californian and even Chilean wines, we are definitely not there. But if you compare it to the worst of these wines, we are definitely better.

-- Anonymous vintner near Bangalore, India, 1994<hr></blockquote>

Well now, let's see here. In theory this is a good idea. In theory, mind you. The problem is, CM doesn't differentiate between the sounds of field guns and the sounds of tank cannons. It makes some distinctions between guns of the same caliber but different length, like the US 75mm and the Panther's 75mm. But the 75mm infantry gun would sound the same as one of the tank guns, ditto with the 105mm, etc. It might work, but without listening to it I'd have to guess it would sound very strange, especially because tanks are much more common in CM than infantry guns.

Then of course there's always the problem of over-saturating the battlefield with sound, something I learned while testing my sound mods. Originally I thought it would be cool to add some reload sounds to all the weapons, but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't work. It sounds very strange to have 10 squads all making clicky reload sounds at once.

It's certainly not impossible, but I think it would be very hard to do well. But now you have me thinking...

Captain Whacky,

Keep thinking! smile.gif If you could have some common ground (sound loader shouts and the like) between the loader of a field gun and the loader of a tank gun, then this be a great idea to incorporate, if possible that is.

Even if this means just doing those loader/breech sounds in a few (often used) field guns/tank guns (say only the Pak40 and the 75mm gun of tanks. I agree that it would be disconcerting if every gun being loaded/fired on the battle field having the same sound, but some nice balance could be found here somewhere, yes?

Much obliged for taking the time to think this over. ;)

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

----------------

“Fighting is like champagne. It goes to the heads of cowards as quickly as of heroes. Any fool can be brave on a battle field when it's be brave or else be killed.”

-- Margaret Mitchell, US novelist in Gone with the Wind, 1936

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: WineCape ]</p>