UI improvements I'd like to see

ianc

In addition to the roster screen of course. :D

1) Give us what every first person shooter on the market has had for years; the ability to custom configure your own controls with a configuration screen instead of forcing us to use the hotkeys, which definitely won't please everybody...

2) Incorporate the mouse wheel as much as possible into the controls, and give the player the option to configure it as a control. This is also needed for scrolling scenarios, mission briefings, moving up the list of units in the purchase screen, etc. within the UI. Imagine using this to zoom in the view, or raise\lower it.

3) Scenario\operation lists need to be sortable by different parameters as in the standard Windows list boxes. You should be able to sort by date, size, name, etc.

ianc

Well my two points would be.

1.) On the assign keys issue, it is really not important here. Using your example of a FPS game, key location is important due to the pace of the game. Depending what keys you use to move (I have friends who demand to still use the arrow keys) and such will determine where you need the reload button etc. In CM games (and many others) there is no need for such customization. Since no immediate action is taking place that you must react to, there is no need for customization. I mean really why would you change the Hide command off the 'H' key?

2.) I agree on the wheel mouse though, especially for cycling between the views.

Priest:

Since no immediate action is taking place that you must react to, there is no need for customization. I mean really why would you change the Hide command off the 'H' key?
So you're one of those "I'll take what they give me and like it" kind of guys huh? Spent some time in the service have you? Seriously, you've never thought to yourself "I wish I could use x to control y"?

Panzer Leader:

I would love to use the mousewheel. Is it some kind of MAC thing?
Um... Actually, I think the Mac hasn't quite caught on to this. Does the Mac even have two buttons on the mouse yet?

I'm a bit of a rude bastard, but beer'll do that to you...

ianc

Edited because I can.

[ September 26, 2002, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: ianc ]

I am actually more of a "why bother wasting time on something that is completely useless" kinda person.

I am all for options mind you, like multiple user chosen skins for vehicles and troops and choosing to turn on Relative Spotting or not (obviously turning it on) so why waste time in the engine rebuild making keys user defined (when there is no need and 99% of folks will not bother to do it)when you could be working on the options that matter.

I've played games against ianc, and found him to be a good and witty opponent. I have noted with interest his many postings, both now, and in the past, asking for changes to the user interface, and on such issues as 'the roster'.

And I say, we nail him to a large piece of wood, dowse him with kerosene, and set him on fire.

It seems only right.

[ September 26, 2002, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

--------------

"1.) On the assign keys issue, it is really not important here."

I think it is. Not from a pacing standpoint, but from a 'habit' standpoint. If a guy has played 15 previous games and all 15 used the WASD keys to move, I could easily understand why he might want to remap the keys to his liking. In my particular case (french keyboard), the 'next unit' (+) button requires me to hold Shift down. I'd rather map a button that doesn't require a double keypress. Just because you don't need to get to the key quickly is no reason to ignore ergonomic design.

As far as the mouse wheel zoom goes, c'mon everybody, join with me! MOUSE...WHEEL...ZOOM!! MOUSE...WHEEL...ZOOM!! MOUSE...WHEEL...ZOOM!! (Now, everyone stand up! Maybe we can get a 'wave' going!) :D

Skinachey:

I've played games against ianc, and found him to be a good and witty opponent. I have noted with interest his many postings, both now, and in the past, asking for changes to the user interface, and on such issues as 'the roster'.

And I say, we nail him to a large piece of wood, dowse him with kerosene, and set him on fire.

And as for you sir, I'd ask you for another game, but the way in which you wield artillery is a crime. How could you do that to me?

Deanco:

If a guy has played 15 previous games and all 15 used the WASD keys to move, I could easily understand why he might want to remap the keys to his liking.
Ha! Right on. I had played MoHAA for awhile last nite, then switched to CMBB. I was sitting there for about the first ten minutes with my fingers unconsciously on WASD, pounding the keyboard wondering why the damn thing wasn't scrolling my view!

ianc

I actually can use my mouse wheel to zoom smile.gif

For those with a Mac and a USB mouse, get USB Overdrive. It'll recognize anything (afaik) and will let you do a serious set of mappings. Then just map scroll wheel up to ] and scroll wheel down to [.

Right now I've got it set to + and - because I don't use zoom ever. Actually, I don't use + and - much either, but I haven't found anything better yet.

My fourth mouse button is M and my right is control-click (for moving around the map).

Originally posted by Cameroon:

I actually can use my mouse wheel to zoom smile.gif

For those with a Mac and a USB mouse, get USB Overdrive. It'll recognize anything (afaik) and will let you do a serious set of mappings. Then just map scroll wheel up to ] and scroll wheel down to [.

Right now I've got it set to + and - because I don't use zoom ever. Actually, I don't use + and - much either, but I haven't found anything better yet.

My fourth mouse button is M and my right is control-click (for moving around the map).

Now THAT'S good thinking!

smile.gif

Good point

Third party mouse software (e.g. Logitech) is highly configurable on the Mac.

-tom w

If you want to really address this issue, for CMBB and for any other games you might play, you can check out:

www.xkeys.com

You can set up a custom USB interface that you can program. You can even set up a key to execute a string of commands.

It is similar to the new Thrustmaster Cougar. I use a Xkey to suppliment my Cougar for one of my flight sims.

If you look, they even have a pad with a built in track ball.

Best of all, you could program it for every one of your games, so you could use the same interface for all.

These are all excellent suggestions.

I have a MS Strategic Commander sitting on my desk, but I never bothered to re-install it after going to Win XP. I've thought about it, just so I can create a more comforatble environment for CMBX. Does anyone else use one? What sort of profile do you have set up?

Originally posted by Priest:

...why waste time in the engine rebuild making keys user defined (when there is no need and 99% of folks will not bother to do it)when you could be working on the options that matter.

It may not matter for *you*, but it's aufully wierd playing the German version and having to hit "A" for Vorruecken. I'm assuming it's assult in english, but it is in NO way intuitive in German. Same goes for"F" for Schnell, "T" for Zielen, and "H" for Verstecken (among others).

I agree it's not a big priority, but remapping would DEFINITELy help those of us notp laying in english.

Onnel

Originally posted by Onnel:

It may not matter for *you*, but it's aufully wierd playing the German version and having to hit "A" for Vorruecken. I'm assuming it's assult in english, but it is in NO way intuitive in German. Same goes for"F" for Schnell, "T" for Zielen, and "H" for Verstecken (among others).

I agree it's not a big priority, but remapping would DEFINITELy help those of us notp laying in english.

Onnel

You know, I never thought about this...

My God, I am an American!

Er, I guess now this is where I should say something on the order of 'serves you right for being some nasty foreigner'. But my heart's just not in it.

I withdraw any objection I've ever had for remapping the keys concept, but I still demand that ianc never be given his beloved roster.

Out of curiosity, when you foreign chaps pull up the pop up menus, I imagine you also see 'A' besides vorruecken, and such, right? I'd imagine the interface would have to be modified so that the pop up menus reflect the change. I wonder if this would complicate things, or if it's no big deal to execute...

"I wonder if this would complicate things, or if it's no big deal to execute..."

The letter bit of it is hardcoded into the game, and thus, can't be modded.

(edit) Well, there is a workaround, assuming you could change the key assignments. You could put white there, making the letter invisible, then write the new letter someplace else. But what a kludge...(/edit)

[ September 27, 2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: deanco ]

Someone probably has a keyboard remapping driver/program you can download. Also, if you own a programmable keyboard you can change a lot of stuff without too much trouble. With the right software the mouse wheel can also be programmed to send a certain keystroke depending on which way you spin it (like + and -).