Cannister??

Need some imput here.

1. Was it really that common?

2. Was it really that effective? I understand unit moving in the open are in trouble but it seems to blow away whole units in cover as well.

3. Were tankers reluctant to use it because the damage it could do to gun linings?

Back while working on the game Beta those same questions were asked. Some people simply didn't 'believe in' cannster on the Eastern Front. But after much debate hard and convincing evidence was produced (from a Russian member, if memory serves) and appropriate anecdotes were sited.

Apparently, BFC did a VERY good and thorough job of modeling and verifying the use of Cannister. I've got to admit, it was news to me too!

I don't know much about damage to guns from use. Cannister was a special purpose round and was issued in limited numbers compared to conventional munitions. I don't quite know how many rounds a typical tank crew would have pumped through the gun in a battle. Probably not enough to hurt the gun (especially considering the short life expectancy of a T34 in combat).

[ October 18, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I lost a whole Platoon HQ in one shot. Cannister fired at under 20m by a t34. My HQ was in a light building as well.

It was kind of erie.

Boom! Then the translucent building walls turned opaque (sp?) and I knew there was no longer anybody home. :(

smile.gif

Gpig

Was on the receiving end of cannister today for the first time. A T-34 took a shot at my ten man squad in light woods from about 30 meters away and then... Well, let's just say they probably could have used a shoe box to collect the remains.

Historically accurate or not, I'm glad it's been incorporated into the game. Next time I'm in that situation I'll either try and take it out from a greater distance or use that fancy "withdraw" command for the first time.

Heh heh.

That's what I mean. This game really gives me a feeling of what kind of danger there exists on your average WWII battlefield. Not a nice place to have to work.

It's not like CMBO, where you could feel safe doing certain things. Or at least, the chance of losing a whole squad in one shot to a tank were remote at best.

I find myself being more careful with my troopies, as victory hangs in the balance.

smile.gif

Gpig

I can see why people would question whether a whole squad could get taken out by one round of cannister. But I think the game is abstracting the fact that the shot is dealing enough of its gruesome damage to the squad to kill some and require the full attention of remaining unscathed/sane soldiers to life-saving and evac for the remainder of the battle.

Originally posted by buckshyesh:

I can see why people would question whether a whole squad could get taken out by one round of cannister. But I think the game is abstracting the fact that the shot is dealing enough of its gruesome damage to the squad to kill some and require the full attention of remaining unscathed/sane soldiers to life-saving and evac for the remainder of the battle.

Good point. Shouldn't it also apply to casualties taken in other ways as well, though?

Michael

Im still not a believer in cannister. Has anyone seen any official word from BFC on it? It was a big surprise for me when it was first seen in the demo. And its effects also seem a little off. Its a guranteed killer, no matter what they are in. Let your T34 swarm into where the infantry are, and even if it gets KO'd, at the end it will have like 50 infantry kills.

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Im still not a believer in cannister. Has anyone seen any official word from BFC on it? It was a big surprise for me when it was first seen in the demo. And its effects also seem a little off. Its a guranteed killer, no matter what they are in. Let your T34 swarm into where the infantry are, and even if it gets KO'd, at the end it will have like 50 infantry kills.

Chad

Not if it doesn't have support from SOMETHING that can see. If you drive a T-34 into a swarm of infantry, it'll get buttoned (if it isn't already) and if the player isn't the AI, then shortly thereafter that swarm of infantry will slaughter the T-34.

I tried exactly this tactic on the Yelnia Stare scenario. The only thing that kept them from just being massacred was that I had infantry that could help (via the Borg effect) spot units for them. Even then I lost one of the four I sent (and against the AI). Had I sent a lone T-34, it would not have done anything much. Maybe one squad.

When I played a game vs my brother (13, and his first CMBB game, he played the Germans), I lost 2 or three of my T-34s by overrunning infantry that I literally COULD NOT see. The T-34 is blind smile.gif

As for the comments about what it would do to the barrel, I think the "canister" part gives us the answer. If it were in a canister (as its name implies ;) ) then I don't see it doing anything to the barrel since it would be encased until exiting at the muzzle. Though if it isn't so encased, I'd be wondering about what it would do to the barrel as well.

Originally posted by Gpig:

Heh heh.

That's what I mean. This game really gives me a feeling of what kind of danger there exists on your average WWII battlefield. Not a nice place to have to work.

It's not like CMBO, where you could feel safe doing certain things. Or at least, the chance of losing a whole squad in one shot to a tank were remote at best.

I find myself being more careful with my troopies, as victory hangs in the balance.

smile.gif

Gpig

Well put, and i'm so happy with this game it's not even funny!