A question about pinning the enemy

Alrighty, say I have an encounter with an enemy group, a couple of squads of no particular make-up (smg, rifle, etc.). Now, say I wanted to put suppressive fire on them to keep em down to the ground so I could send a few squads in close to beat em around and push them back. To do those, would the squads I want to do the covering aim directly at the enemy, or use area fire in the general area of where they are?

Hehehe, I just loged on to ask the same question.

I read (in the manual) I think that using "area fire" will suppress the enemy but how large of an area will that affect? One tile maybe? If there is only one squad in that tile would it just be better to aim directly at the enemy?

Oh yeah and does it make a difference if your using infantry or let's say a machine gun. (let's say it's a 50 cal MG that is currently moving into position and need to get an order very soon as to what he is suppose to target) hehehe smile.gif

Nedlam

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: nedlam ]

My own experience is that area fire rarely works as well as direct fire, whether for suppression or any other purpose. If you've got a target, shoot at it!

The only exception I can think of might be when targeting a unit in a building; if targeted directly, your squad may stop firing if the unit slips from view. This can be a bigger issue with armor.

Hrmm, I've never really noticed direct fire having much use. I mean, I've seen several enemy squads have about 5 incoming infantry and tank lines of fire coming at them, and they stand up without getting down or stop firing for about 7 turns. By then, I'd wasted a lot of ammo for just a few units who wouldn't become pinned and let my units get close.

<ed>

I just saw I answered the wrong question... Heck. :cool:

Anyway, I've used area HE fire against suspect woods, but I haven't observed any benefit. I don't think it's a good use of ammo, unless the overwatch approach for (sit back and wait for the enemy to popup) doesn't work.

</ed>

Local superiority while assaulting is a must, if casualties are to be kept at a minimum.

I try to attack a squad with 3 squads. One squad provides covering fire by directly engaging the enemy. The other 2 squads rush the pinned/distracted enemy.

Pinning fire is best delivered by HE, MG, squads in that order IMO. Mortar and Arty preparation is quite useful, especially if it lowers the morale of the enemy.

If you cannot afford local superiority, a) you should not assault, or B) you should accept higher losses and risk of failure.

One can use, e.g. 1 BAR equipped half squad to pin and assault with the other half squad against 1 full enemy squad, if one must have the terrain.

/coralsaw

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: coralsaw ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Klink:

Hrmm, I've never really noticed direct fire having much use. I mean, I've seen several enemy squads have about 5 incoming infantry and tank lines of fire coming at them, and they stand up without getting down or stop firing for about 7 turns. By then, I'd wasted a lot of ammo for just a few units who wouldn't become pinned and let my units get close.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All depends on the range. Anything over 500m and you're definately wasting ammo. I only fire on infantry with infantry when under 200m, sometimes even less. Depends on the situation.

I just discovered area fire. I like it a lot. I had some squads waiting for some hiding squads in a forest to come out. Of course they wouldn't, so I just used a 105mm howitzer to target the area and out popped all those nice plump targets for my squads. They got crushed as they ran hither and thither.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: JAT ]

Let the regular squads pick their own targets. MGs, used aimed, not area fire, on the target you want suppressed. The only exception is buys behind a wall - for them, area fire right as close to the target unit as you can get. Mortars, area fire at a location near the unit.

Area fire will be continued even if the target ducks for cover, and even if it can't be seen. This is important with the wall, because aimed fire will break off as soon as they duck, and give them time to recover. But it doesn't "seek" the target, it goes exactly where you tell it to, and effects only a small area, just like aimed shots.

You can also use area fire when you don't have a target but suspect one in there, or to "recon by fire" (shoot to make hiding enemies shoot back and reveal themselves). This is usually only a good idea with vehicle MGs, and ones with a lot of ammo at that. Meaning, 100+ shots, not 40. Some vehicles have 250 MG ammo, and can afford to hose down something every turn whether they see anything or not. Of course, this is loud and will tell everybody where that shooter is. But often you don't care.

Area fire is also useful for gun HE when shooting at buildings. Instead of shooting at the men in the building, target the building itself and use area fire. The shots will be kept up as fast as possible, with little regard to exact aim, until the building collapses. This will do a number on infantry hiding on the back side of the building, ducking back out of LOS deeper inside, etc.

Plain Shermans are particularly good at this, because they have such large HE ammo loads they can afford the shots, even if a few of the buildings they demolish were empty. High caliber guns with large HE loads are also good at it - Sherman 105 and StuH, Priests, etc. High ROF guns of light caliber (20mm, 37mm) are also good at it, but that is something of a bug IMHO and a bit gamey.