The Newbie Tournaments III

Originally posted by dfgardner:

Red Bast*rd and I have been merrily romping around the countryside for near 40 turns now, happily destroying each other's armor....er, disregard that last statement and recite with me: "all is well children, move to the light."

"But you said no! You said to NOT go into the light!"

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Leta:

Another game comes to and end. White4 and me just finished Nothing Fancy. I have seen that SuperTed haven't posted the results here. I don't know if he has a good reason or ... hey Ted! Did you received my e-mail with the last turn?

Leta,

Until I have resolved the Give and Take issue, I have decided not to post the results for Nothing Fancy. The resolution will be announced this weekend.

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Leta,

Until I have resolved the Give and Take issue, I have decided not to post the results for Nothing Fancy. The resolution will be announced this weekend.</font>

heya Hobo _quit posting and start plotting your turn! smile.gif Arghh! I feel like a kid at christmas. I just want to see whats gonna happen next!!

I dont know about the rest of you guys but so far my tourney experience has been great. 2 very good opponents and all the scenarios have been filled with tension and the outcome in some sort of doubt right up to the end.

witko

Originally posted by SuperTed:

Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out which side this scenario favors, and I see the answer is eluding the group as well. I wonder if that means it could actually be balanced the way it is! :eek:

Well here I am and in desperate straits scorewise.

I believe the scenario is balanced but only if you play it right and if it goes wrong it goes desperately wrong. A wild card scenario.

For me, as I mentioned to Ted - not knowing where the reinforcements were originating proved - not quite fatal but demanding perfection subsequently.

I decided upon 2 choices attack from the easterly and north or attack from the west and northerly. I decided on east and north only because that was where I thought my reinforcements would be and thus quicker. Any armour I drive thru the lower road.

There were problems with this in that the attack was uphill but attacking from the west meant a long hard slog thru forest to get west.

This however was the only real solution as all reinforcements came from that corner but I was trapped on my course.

I admit when that first batch showed up in the west I flipped. It seemed to me that I had been riddled into a corner.

In the end it's just one of those things that makes it all more interesting and unpredictable -- look at Sweden! Heartbreaking! :D

Guys,

I have decided on the best solution for the Give and Take "situation."

First, I want to stress that, despite what has transpired, I feel the scenario is balanced. However, there are two issues that need to be addressed. First, I suspect many of you have never used Volkssturm before and did not realize just how careful you need to be with them. Second, a single large flag made for a huge range of scores (from 86 for the Germans to 82 for the Canadians).

So, how do we resolve the issue of huge victory margains without penalizing the players who achieved those huge margains? Some have advocated leaving things as they are. Well, for the sake of the tournament, that would mean the second scenario of the round would be essentially pointless for those opponent pairs with a huge difference in scores.

Others have suggested that the results from Give and Take should be discarded. That is not fair to the players who played it well and received high scores. It is also not fair to the players who played poorly and received low scores.

Still others suggested various scoring modifications. This would not be a bad idea if all the scores favored one side. Since that is not the case, this solution will not work either.

So, where does that leave us? Well, the solution is rather simple. The scores from Give and Take will be halved for ALL players. This will significantly reduce the impact of the larger victory margains without unfairly penalizing those who won. At the same time, it maintains the few close scores that were achieved.

Also, a third scenario will be added to the round. It was thoroughly tested over a year ago by a veteran group of playtesters. To be sure it is balanced, it is currently undergoing another round of playtesting by a second group of playtesters. So, there should be no doubts about this one. Further, the third scenario will provide a better sense of balance to the entire round, giving both players a reasonable chance of winning.

The plan is to release the third scenario to everybody next weekend. If it is possible, it will be released sooner.

Note: only two weeks will be added to the round to allow for completion of all three scenarios, making the deadline March 24 at 1200 hours (GMT -6:00). I strongly encourage everybody to do what they can to get them done as quickly as possible, so things do not drag on forever in Round 2.

Thanks.

Guys,

This is almost as bad as mixing metaphors here! VJ is quoting Star Trek while he has a Lord of the Rings quote in his sig. At the same time, SM is quoting Star Trek while he has a Star Wars quote in his sig. There is something that is just not quite right about that... :eek:

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

More results from the SuperNewbies:

Austin Bowie (German) defeated Vader's Jester (US), 78-22, in Nothing Fancy. This increases Austin Bowie's lead to 118-33 in the round.

Congratulations to Austin Bowie!

Wow. I really suck! :D </font>