Good books that offer a more detailed look at the Red Army

If you enjoy playing the Soviets as much as I do, then you should seriously think about purchasing some of the following books. These suggestions aren't for someone who just wants to know more about the Soviets during WWII. It's intended for those who already know about the Russian front, but want to know how the Soviets fought, what their military theories were, and how they developed then implemented them in WWII. I've placed the titles in order of detail or complexity, so if you don't want to get buried too deep into it all, stick to the first few titles.</font>

• Red Army Handbook - By Zaloga. A very detailed look at the TOE and equipment of the different services in the Red Army in WWII.</font>
  • Soviet Infantry Tactics in WWII by Sharp. Just what the title says, covering from individual up to company level.</font>
  • Soviet Armored Tactics in WWII by Sharp. Cover tank tactics from individual tank up to company level.</font>
  • Red Armor Combat Orders by Armstrong. Starts where Sharp's Soviet Armored Tactics in WWII leaves off, covering Soviet tank tactics from battalion to brigade level.</font>
  • Red Army Tank Commanders - by Armstrong. Six biographies on the top Soviet tank army commanders in WWII: Katukov, Bogdanov, Rybalko, Lelyushenko, Rotmistrov, and Kravchenko. Very informative with much insight into the methods and operations of Soviet tank forces in WWII.</font>
  • Red Army Legacies by Armstrong. Eleven essays that study the forces, capabilities, and personalities of WWII Soviet forces.</font>
  • Soviet Order of Battle in WWII by Sharp. These twelve volumes cover many of the services in the Red Army, including not only TOE, but unit histories and limited theater-wide OOB information.</font>
  • The Soviet Conduct of Tactical Maneuver by Glantz. This book is the definitive study on the development and use of forward detachments by Soviet forces in WWII as well as in the postwar era.</font>
  • Soviet Military Operational Art by Glantz. The definitive study of the development and practice by the Soviets of operational art from its beginnings in the 1920s until the 1980s.</font>
  • Soviet Military Intelligence in War by Glantz. Studies the development and practice of reconnaissance and intelligence by Soviet forces from the 1920s until the 1980s. The definitive study of the subject.</font>
  • Soviet Military Deception in the Second World War by Glantz. The definitive study of military deception as practiced by Soviet forces in WWII.</font>

All very good suggestions! And might I remind folks that we stock some nice books now smile.gif

Also, if you can find them... there are some reprints of US Army studies done right after the war with German officers doing most of the legwork. I have ones for Effects of Weather, Night Combat, Northern Theater of Operations (warfare in Finland), and Small Unit Actions.

Also, don't forget "Winter Warfare - ed Army Orders and Experiences" by Richard Armstrong and Joseph Welsh

ISBN 0-7146-4237-1

Oh, and anything by Glantz is worth a read, but generally he covers stuff up at higher levels and/or the flow of specific battles. Not directly applicable to CM tactics but certainly good stuff for understanding the front and for scenario material.

Steve

[ November 28, 2002, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Steve - it is my understanding that a lot of the US Army studies stuff suffers very seriously from an insufficient knowledge of Soviet intent/unit strengths and designations, insufficient access to German documents, survivor bias and sometimes plain failure to admit that you are talking out of your rear.

Two best examples for this are Rauss' claim that the Soviet airforce never achieved satisfactory coordination with the ground forces, and the study on airborne operations that claimed there were only small-scale drops in the east.

These studies are superb primary source material, but they have to be counterbalanced by later work that is better informed, or even better Soviet primary material covering the same fights. Having read a few of them, I think they have to be treated with a lot of caution. I am of the same opinion as Glantz on these ones.

A much better series, despite suffering from some of the same problems, is 'Die Wehrmacht im Kampf'. The German documentation is normally better though, and it also draws on interviews with veterans to some degree, or is written by lower level officers. One book I have on the battles for the Baltic islands of Moon and Dago in 1917, 1941 and 1944 is superb in its research of the Soviet forces involved. Some of these books are now appearing in English, I believe.

Originally posted by Andreas:

A much better series, despite suffering from some of the same problems, is 'Die Wehrmacht im Kampf'. The German documentation is normally better though, and it also draws on interviews with veterans to some degree, or is written by lower level officers. One book I have on the battles for the Baltic islands of Moon and Dago in 1917, 1941 and 1944 is superb in its research of the Soviet forces involved. Some of these books are now appearing in English, I believe.

Andreas, do you have any suggestions as to where I could get a line on these translations (publishers, etc.)? They sound interesting.

Michael

Originally posted by Andreas:

Sorry Michael, a book I thought was a translation is in fact not from that series at all.

You have to learn German I am afraid smile.gif

Argh. I took three years of German and came away with about six weeks worth of useful knowledge, I'm afraid. Probably should have switched to Spanish when that cute teacher took over that class. Oh well...

Michael