I searched the forums about a campaign for CM:BB, but...

All that I got was this from the FAQ thread:

Will there be a campaign system added to the game?

"We currently have THREE folks asking to make a huge campaign system of one form or another. All three have made multiple detailed pitches to us. All three have started by saying all they need is the file format. All three have then described a system that requires much more involvement from us than just that to make their system work. We haven't rulled any of the three out (yet), but to be honest... I just don't see how it will be possible to do any of them. We know there is interest (though we don't think it is more than a decent minority of customers), but on balance it isn't as important as the other things we have to do. Remember, any campaign system is only as good as the tactical battles they contain. If we skip something major in order to do the campaign stuff, everybody suffers the loss.{correction. I made this sound worse than it really is. Let's just say that we are skeptical that "just an export file" will be enough. So we porceed with caution, but are still looking at the proposals I mentioned seriously." -Steve

"We might be able to put in Objective Flags into Ops. But again, Ops work hasn't been hammered down yet so this is only one possibility." -Steve

Has anything changed on this, since we are getting close to release...close to being only a month away! I love CM, but part of me wants some campaign style gameplay, where you pick a country, then a designation(for Germany: Heer, WaffenSS, Fallschirmjager, and similar selection for the other countries), and fight with the same units over time, and watch them gain experience over time.

I know that this isn't what CM is about. It's really just something that I loved from the CC series...fighting with the same units.

So, it's not a big deal to me, but I was just curious if anyone was aware if anything else had been said on this matter.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

I remember "the powers that be" saying that good-old CMBO didn't get an 'experience curve' in a campaign (like a certain unnamed Microsoft product) because marching your men through 3 or 4 half hour battles in a campaign isn't really enough time to build any true experience. That would take weeks and months of hard fighting. I doubt their view on this will change for CMBB.

I suppose you could do it all 'manually'. Do your own series of scenarios or campaigns all based on the same map. Each battle receives what you figure would be the proper proportion of green troops to veterans for the given assignment. But is the difference between green and veteran troops in CMBO worth all that extra effort?

I know of at least one campaign in the planing stages, I've been asked to provide a link from my GD site to their site. When the time comes, I am sure many more will follow. These are multiplayer campaigns I am talking about, but I am hoping (as are many others, Wreck I should imagine in particular) to put together some rules for solo (ie vs AI) campaign rules.

As the esteemed Mr. Dorosh mentioned, the thread and rules that Wreck has worked very hard on has been pretty busy the last few days and can be found here: http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=025864

It provides a nicely flavored campaign over time. There is definitely some recordkeeping involved, but it adds to the immersiveness factor.