Computer experience bonus?

Originally posted by Moon:

It basically increases the experience ratings for computer controlled forces by that many levels. If the computer has conscript troops, +3 would make them veterans effectively.

Martin

In recent battle the AI had Veteran forces. But actually because I gave it +3 bunus, that means he had Elite forces, even though in the game was displayed as Veteran, right?

[ June 01, 2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Porajkl ]

Originally posted by Porajkl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

It basically increases the experience ratings for computer controlled forces by that many levels. If the computer has conscript troops, +3 would make them veterans effectively.

Martin

In recent battle the AI had Veteran forces. But actually because I gave it +3 bunus, that means he had Elite forces, even though in the game was displayed as Veteran, right?</font>

So, can anyone enlighten me on which the most competitive setting is? If I set computer troops quality to high and give it a +3 bonus, will that accomplish anything except giving it more expensive troops or will it actually have quality 1 or 2 levels above elite? I'd say the best setting is low quality troops and a +3 bonus. That'll give it cheap troops but the +3 bonus will have a much bigger impact (Conscript-> Veteran vs Regular-> Elite).

I find the computer experience bonus a clumsy and unrealistic way of getting play balance vs. the AI. Because the supped up troops don't fight realistically. A much better method is to give it more forces.

If you defend against a computer "attack", try giving it +100% force handicap. It will come at you with 3:1 odds, and even with all its faults it is dangerous at such high odds.

Often you will have to abandon the position to avoid wipe-out (a good goal is to keep half your manpower alive), but you can draw or win by inflicting high losses on the attackers. This gives a good "fighting withdrawl" type scenario.

For set piece defenses, choose the "assault" game type and then give the computer +25% (or +50%, if you are ambitious) forces. It gets 2:1 to 2.5:1 odds. That is on the outside of what you might manage to actually hold off successfully.

For your own attacks, take -30% forces. That gives near even overall odds. Coupled with your poorer intel and the AI's better performance on defense, that gives a reasonable game, where you have to attack pretty carefully.

You can also take green troops yourself and let it use the medium quality setting. That gives more realistic fighting than your own in-command regulars or vets, and uber-morale AI units from a large AI quality bonus, which winds up being a "to the last man", "robotic" fight. You can also let the computer auto-select your forces, so you can't tailor your force better than it does.

But changing the overall point odds is the best single way to balance against the AI's weaknesses. Even with clumsy attacking and tailored medium-quality player forces, 3:1 attacks are nasty affairs. They can be a blast, too. You KO 6 tanks while losing only 1 and still get driven off the map.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Porajkl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Martin

In recent battle the AI had Veteran forces. But actually because I gave it +3 bunus, that means he had Elite forces, even though in the game was displayed as Veteran, right?</font>

When I attack the AI I like to give it at least a +1 advantage.

His troops seem to sit tight longer holding their positions instead of jumping from their hidden locations and attacking me to soon.