How to beat the end-of-game blues.

Something that has always bothered me about CM is the anti-climatic feeling I get at the end of a battle. I play my heart out for 2 hours, bear the screams of agony and the shouts of triumph, and at the end I get the first 3 notes of Taps and a page of data. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE this game! Been playing for 2 years. I just wish I could get more of a sense of achievement when I score a big victory or even squeak out a close call.

Here's an idea I got while watching my brother-in-law playing Tony Hawk 3. As he completed tasks and got high scores, he was able to "unlock" new tricks, levels and skaters. Wouldn't it be cool if we had some rare units that could only be accessed if we beat some scenarios or had a certain win-loss ratio.

Or someone could design a great mod and a tough scenario. And that mod would only be available once you beat that scenario.

It would also be nice if CM collected your stats for you.

Would any of these ideas enhance CM's interest for you?

Originally posted by buckshyesh:

Wouldn't it be cool if we had some rare units that could only be accessed if we beat some scenarios or had a certain win-loss ratio.

Or someone could design a great mod and a tough scenario. And that mod would only be available once you beat that scenario.

I can't imagine this would be popular with most members of this forum since CM has no shortage of competitive aspects already.

Just my $.02

Here's an idea I got while watching my brother-in-law playing Tony Hawk 3. As he completed tasks and got high scores, he was able to "unlock" new tricks, levels and skaters. Wouldn't it be cool if we had some rare units that could only be accessed if we beat some scenarios or had a certain win-loss ratio.

Would any of these ideas enhance CM's interest for you?

I think it would be much more interesting if, after a big win, CM brought up a special after action area where you were allowed to machine-gun characters from the Tony Hawk games.

Originally posted by ex PFC Wintergreen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by buckshyesh:

Wouldn't it be cool if we had some rare units that could only be accessed if we beat some scenarios or had a certain win-loss ratio.

I can't imagine this would be popular with most members of this forum since CM has no shortage of competitive aspects already.

Just my $.02</font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

I think it would be much more interesting if, after a big win, CM brought up a special after action area where you were allowed to machine-gun characters from the Tony Hawk games.

LOL! I was prepared for wise cracks like that.

BTW there's a secret health pack hidden behind the church in the Cemetery Hill scenario!

What I would like to see is units given medals/ promotions for outstanding actions,eg: causing a lot of caualties, an infantry squad taking out a tiger etc. you could stick them in the aar screen along with the other end of battle info.

It would have abolutly no effect on gameplay mind you, but it would be cool.

Wouldn't it be cool if a "Tron" like anamoly ocurred which sucked your molecules into pixels, and stuck you in a Soviet Assault scenario.

Picture this...you lose big time to the AI... all of a sudden you find yourself as part of a tank hunter team hiding in a wheatfield while a half dozen IS-2s are bearing down on you. Your platoon leader has panicked and you have only one panzerfaust, and over the the din of the battle you hear the demented laughter of MADMATT... :cool: All of a sudden you are back in your computer chair, and you have an Iron Cross pinned to your chest...how did that get there??

Thankfully, BFC has sufficient clue to design a game that has longevity /without/ common console tricks like limited saves or locked levels/units. As for the endgame, do a post-mortem: go through all the units and examine their records, and express your regrets for the dead pixels should you choose.

I guess what I'm looking for is a more lasting benefit or result of a battle. When you leave that AAR, you have absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

What do people think of the stats idea?

Does BFC have a plan for keeping stats in CM2?

All kidding aside.. if thats possible here. I sometimes feel that there should be something more at the end of a battle to either mock you when you lose, or uplift you when you win. I guess you could screen shot your own stats and make up a slideshow or something, with music and everything, I really hadnt thought about it until you mentioned it. Now I kinda wish there was something more.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

LOL! I was prepared for wise cracks like that.

BTW there's a secret health pack hidden behind the church in the Cemetery Hill scenario!</font>

I have a post-battle ritual to add a little more to the AAR screen. First, as someone mentioned, I scroll through all the friendly and enemy units kills, to see who did the work, maybe gain some insight into what was effective and what wasn't, or what may have hurt me more than I thought. This is epsecially useful in BB now that full kill stats are displayed at the end.

Then I put the "camera" in a good spot to capture the essence of the battle, or a memorable bit, or the general scene, bring up the AAR report on top of it, and take a screenshot.

I haven't made a slide show or set it to music yet, but I do date them and make note of anything interesting in the file name. It's been a nice gauge of progress, actually, especially if I have played the same scenario a few times over a period of months.

I find it a pretty satisfying conclusion, although hashing out what went wrong and right with a human opponent is even better.

Especially if you just beat the hell out of him.

I'm thinking of a set of linked scenarios where upon completeion a PDF file is extracted from the CD-ROM which you can print out as a diploma.

1. Squad Level Basic Officers course

2. Crew Served Weapons Expert

3. Armor Officers Basic....

etc., etc.,

I don't know maybe too goofy, but beginning players and players unfamilar with WWII wargames might like it.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by buckshyesh:

All kidding aside.. if thats possible here. I sometimes feel that there should be something more at the end of a battle to either mock you when you lose, or uplift you when you win. I guess you could screen shot your own stats and make up a slideshow or something, with music and everything, I really hadnt thought about it until you mentioned it. Now I kinda wish there was something more.</font>

Isn't it amazing how a legitimate question from a CM player, deteriorates into this demented, sophomoric exchange, it happens in so many threads. Anybody know why?

I assume dememted, sophmoric posters are at the root of it.

That and the fact that duing the day we're at work, bored as hell, trying to entertain ourselves on the forum, and alt+tabbing back to Excel when the boss walks by!

That's the problem with young people today. You want the game to do everything for you.

Don't sit there slack-jawed in your chair, waiting for affirmation from a piece of software.

When you win, get up and do the 'Underpants Dance of Victory' (pull your undewear over your head like a hat and dance around the room; for a really big win, use someone else's underwear).

When I defeat a human opponent in a PBEM, I make them recite a poem in my honour. Most of them aren't very good poems (a surprising number of young men seem to come from Nantucket), but they are the paeans of victory I richly deserve.

You are too passive and emotionally needy if you want some software program to give you hugs and certificates!

Howl your victory out to the stars! Curse your defeats to the depths of the Abyss!

Troops! Presennnnnnnnnnt Underpants!

Wouldn't it be cool if a "Tron" like anamoly ocurred which sucked your molecules into pixels, and stuck you in a Soviet Assault scenario.....demented laughter of MADMATT.....All of a sudden you are back in your computer chair

Who's grass mod are you using and where can I get some, err, it?