New to CMBB mods - help!

Just getting to know CMBB - great game! - and would like to install some mods, as well as create my own. Reminds me of the good old days of SPI and AH games.

Am I correct that mods are just graphic changes, not AI/gameplay changes?

Do I just edit/overwrite existing graphics files or do I need a utility to make it work?

Do all players on PBEM or TCPIP have to have the same mods installed?

Can I make new buildings, vehicles, guns, etc? Or are we limited to the units/images in the game?

Where's the best place to get a newbie's faq on installing mods?

Any other sites, suggestions or help - thanks!

Cheers

Ian

hunchbacktiny.jpg

Hello and welcome to the board ichadwick! Now to answer your questions:

Am I correct that mods are just graphic changes, not AI/gameplay changes?

This is right. All mods you make/download will just be graphic and will not affect the AI or gameplay in any way shape or form.

Do I just edit/overwrite existing graphics files or do I need a utility to make it work?

Again you got it. All you have to do is overwrite the files (BMP folder holds all textures for the game) and when you start up CMBB again it should have those new textures!

Do all players on PBEM or TCPIP have to have the same mods installed?

Nope, if you play a TCP/IP or PBEM game you don't both need the same mods. If you did, with all the mods, it would be VERY hard to find an opponent ;)

Can I make new buildings, vehicles, guns, etc? Or are we limited to the units/images in the game?
Sorry, you're stuck with the 300+ vehicles and however many infantry and support weapons shipped with the game, darn. tongue.gif

Where's the best place to get a newbie's faq on installing mods?
To install mods all you need to do is download the mod and extract the BMP files to the BMP folder in the CMBB directory and when it asks you if you want to overwrite the files say yes and there ya go! (You might want to backup your BMP folder incase you don't like a mod)

One of the many great places to get mods is at www.cmmods.com (there are many more but since my comp crashed last week I lost all my favorites so I can't give you anymore :( )

Good luck and happy hunting!

::Edited link::

[ December 19, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Shifty 101 ]

Shifty is almost right BUUUTT, mods do effect the game play, or should we say the computer your playing CMBB on. The Hires mods can slow down your puter,that's why you will see at the data base mods labeled "Lores", for older or slower machines, (300mhz,350mhz,etc..) CMBB tends to be a resource hog on the graphics, so modders used to make Lores mods for the folks with the slower machines so the game would run better ( you will see a bunch of mods like this for CMBO)

Thanks for the replies. I thought so... now I can relax about installing a few mods - but here's another two...

Winter mods... the game apparently didn't come with proper winter dressing and vehicles. Are these extras or do they overwrite summer gear? I read somewhere that winter mods are additions to the picture list (starting with the number 5???).

There's a CMMOS mod program online. Does it work with CMBB? Can't seem to find an answer on the site. Is it necessary or even useful? I can't get a good SHORT description of exactly what it does anywhere.

Dammit, I LIKE this game. Really makes the grey matter work. Sure wish there were motorcycles, though. Nothing like a 1940s BMW with sidecar (I currently ride an F650 but that's another thread).

Thanks again in advance...

Ian

Originally posted by ichadwick:

Winter mods... the game apparently didn't come with proper winter dressing and vehicles. Are these extras or do they overwrite summer gear? I read somewhere that winter mods are additions to the picture list (starting with the number 5???).

Ian, the winter version of any graphic is 50000+original .BMP number. Example: XYZTank gun barrel grpahic 7234.bmp. If a winter scenario is used, CM will first look for a 57234.bmp and if it doesn't find it, it will use 7234.bmp as a default. If the original number was 12456.bmp, then the winter version will be 62456.bmp.

The .bmp's for winter and summer are two seperate files. In general, you can add winter mods without overwriting any of the original mods.

There's a CMMOS mod program online. Does it work with CMBB? Can't seem to find an answer on the site. Is it necessary or even useful? I can't get a good SHORT description of exactly what it does anywhere.

CMMOS mods can be had at http://www.combatmission.com . It is supposed ot make managing your mods easier. It think it allows you to swap mods in and out, but I could be wrong. I don't use it, but many others do. You can also try a search for CMMOS on the board and you'll find a thread that has detailed instructions.

COG

[ December 20, 2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]

Ian, the winter version of any graphic is 50000+original .BMP number. Example: XYZTank gun barrel grpahic 7234.bmp. If a winter scenario is used, CM will first look for a 57234.bmp and if it doesn't find it, it will use 7234.bmp as a default. If the original number was 12456.bmp, then the winter version will be 62456.bmp.

The .bmp's for winter and summer are two seperate files. In general, you can add winter mods without overwriting any of the original mods.

Does this apply to infantry uniforms as well or is it purely vehicles?

I am doing a beginners tutorial on mod making – it will be for a specific simple mod aimed at people who have never even seen a paint program before.

It will take me about a week more – watch this space.

I am hoping to get a Master Class going in my site with tips for non-beginners – this means contributions on how it is done by the old hands. Contact me here or on my email address. Be warned it is not easy, explaining techniques!

Mark

Thanks for all the help. I'll tinker with some of the mods this weekend now that i know I can't spoil the engine. That is, if I ever get away from simply playing. This is the most aggravating, frustrating, annoying, addictive game I've played in years. Damn! It's got me searching my bookshelf for buried copies of paul Carel, or digging theough my basement for old wargames (I found an unpunched Fire in the East and the sequel... among others)

Any particularly good mods anyone recommends? Or does that open a can o' worms?