While it lasts, great aerial pic of Bastogne

Mr Dorosh

If this is a photograph designed to be used with a stereo-viewer, is it possible that some of the odd effects being witnessed are artificially created by the camera to give a better 3-D effect when used in the viewer?

Two normal photographs are used for stereo-viewers normally taken from two cameras situated a specific distance apart.

For an aerial photo to be of use you really only need two pieces of information.

1) The time of day and date (10.30 am in this case)

2) The latitude or height (or both) at which the picture was taken

With this info I could work out the height of the tree's (from the length of the shadows cast) this would give some indication of the quality of these photos.

The latitude seems to be missing from the photos but I can take a guess, is 20,000 the altitude? I'll break out my old aerial photography books to see if I can get you some figures for the height of those trees. Computers can crank out some amazing maps from photo's like this now.

You can find out alot about using photo's here

[ March 01, 2002, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: SpazManOught ]

There is nothing odd about the length of the shadow cast by the patches of wood if you compare it to the shadows cast by the individual trees along the roads. The sun is just hanging very low, as previously noted.

Looks a lot like the area where I did my military service in south west Sweden.

M.