Infantry vs. armor

I've seen this happen with enough occurence to ask this question: my infantry (lacking A-T weapons) is surpised by enemy armor at close range. The infantry will fire it's small arms at the unbuttoned tank even if they have the "hide" or "run" (as in "run away!") command. The AFV then buttons up and promptly eliminates my infantry.

Is this action due to the troops panicking? Or does the TacAI think it can wound/kill an AFV crew member?

Does anyone have any suggestions allowing infantry to retreat from such an encounter?

thanks!

The infantry fires becaue it has some chance of killing theunbottoned commander.

At short range it might also get insanely lucky with a hand grenade, and I've seen Panthers killed by rifle-grenades!

Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

I've seen this happen with enough occurence to ask this question: my infantry (lacking A-T weapons) is surprised by enemy armor at close range.

thanks!

From a broader tactical perspective, if your infantry is being FREQUENTLY surprised by armor at close range, you may want to start reconsidering your habits of infantry placement. Ideally, infantry should be positioned so that it's seeing the armor first 95% of the time, since infantry has all the advantages when it comes to stealth and freedom of movement through closed terrain. Armor can only go through certain kinds of fairly clear terrain. On an open map, there's no danger of surprise because you can see the tanks from far off. On a map with more cover, you should think about placing your infantry so that it's monitoring the various openings through which tanks can move. Wherever possible there should be infantry AT weapons to monitor those openings. So, the key is to plan ahead so your infantry isn't surprised by tanks.

The other point is to consider your lines of retreat before placing your infantry. Your men should have a covered way out of trouble if at all possible. Thus if you spot a tank bearing down on you and you've got no AT, you can bug out through your covered route in the nick of time.

[ December 06, 2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

One good way of vaguely simulating the hardcore fire-discipline of CMBB's cover arc while playing CMBO is to not only hide your CMBO units, but assign them an ambush point such that no unit will go near that point, i.e. well behind your unit. "Hide" along doesn't get the job done. I just used this in a winter game to let the Germans get within 10-15m before I sprung my ambush. The same should work for infantry facing tanks.

Be careful if you move units that are still targeting an ambush point in CMBO, since when they stop moving, they'll turn around and face the ambush point.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

I've seen this happen with enough occurence to ask this question: my infantry (lacking A-T weapons) is surprised by enemy armor at close range.

thanks!

From a broader tactical perspective, if your infantry is being FREQUENTLY surprised by armor at close range, you may want to start reconsidering your habits of infantry placement. Ideally, infantry should be positioned so that it's seeing the armor first 95% of the time, since infantry has all the advantages when it comes to stealth and freedom of movement through closed terrain. Armor can only go through certain kinds of fairly clear terrain. On an open map, there's no danger of surprise because you can see the tanks from far off. On a map with more cover, you should think about placing your infantry so that it's monitoring the various openings through which tanks can move. Wherever possible there should be infantry AT weapons to monitor those openings. So, the key is to plan ahead so your infantry isn't surprised by tanks.

The other point is to consider your lines of retreat before placing your infantry. Your men should have a covered way out of trouble if at all possible. Thus if you spot a tank bearing down on you and you've got no AT, you can bug out through your covered route in the nick of time.</font>