Flamethrower bug?

Just have seen this today. I've ordered my FT to area target a building. After three bursts, the building starts to burn, enemy troops start to leave it, but my FT still continued his area fire. Looks wrong to me. When I give an area target to a gun, and the building starts to burn, the gun stops to fire.

Annoying here, the FT has given away most of his few ammo before the turn was finished, so I have lost 4 bursts (of 9) for nothing.

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

I saw the same thing in another game. FT ordered to attack area, fires two bursts, enemy is routed, FT continues to flame area. I think I ended up with one shot left at the end of the turn :(

COG

Exact ditto. But I can't make a sad face, since it's always been excruciating just to get those guys in range in the first place! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Eden

Scipio: does a gun really stop area firing at a building when the building starts to burn? I thought that area fire only stopped when the building collapsed. (I do agree that flamethrowers should stop area firing after the building catches fire, though - that's the equivalent, in flame-throwerese, of the building collapsing under HE.

COG: I'm not sure from your post whether your complaint is that the FT kept shooting after the building caught fire, or after the routed unit fled. As I noted above, the FT should probably stop firing after the building catches fire, but shouldn't stop firing if a routed unit leaves the unburned building - after all, area fire means that the FT should fire on an area, not at particular units.

Andrew, I must confess that the guns did so in CMBO, but I'M not sure they do in CMBB - I just assume they do!? If not, than it would be just a second thing that I would call wrong.

BTW, another thing with Flamethrowers that I have noticed. I play the Vienna map as quick battle, my oppo has used a Flamethrower somewhere, I assume with area target order, too. It was far away from my troops, and surely out of my LOS. Anyway, I was able to locate it on the map, and also could see which building he was targeting. I guess it was just a soundspotting, but the informations I received are a bit to much for this.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Could be a bug; I recall that in CM:BO, flamethrower teams stopped "firing" if the terrain (usually a building) in their targeted area caught fire. Could this be about the multi-stage fires, i.e. "catching fire" to "ablaze"?

This is where my thoughts are on the matter. The tile is not "on fire" yet enough for the FT to stop. It makes flaming a building much less attractive, since you FT fires off his 9 or so shots so fast.

The only work around I have is to approach to just the edge of the FT's range. Give an area fire order, and then a move (perhaps with a pause) back out of range. Obviously not so great if you're under fire yourself, but it's the only way I could think of to get them to stop.

Not disagreeing here. Seems the FT should stop once the building catches on fire.

Bear in mind TFM says you expend more fuel than normal at the edge of the FT range, so it may be wise to fire at shorter ranges until this is adressed.

Does the pause command work with fire orders? Thinking that may be a way to help the situation if so. Delay the area fire, move infantry in at the begining of the next turn. I'll have to set up a scenario and see.

A key question here--in CMBB there are 2 kinds of fire. Little fire which does not make 20m square uninhabitable and big fire which would. Question is what kind of fire that FT caused. If it was small, I can see why they would continue firing.

WWB