Shockwave mod

Pud

M.Bates has tweaked his shockwave mod for CMBB and is now PC compatible.

This works surprisingly well and the image doesnt do it justice. If you are lamenting over the removal of shockwaves from arty rounds, grab it here.

shockwave2.jpg

M.Bates has let me to host it.

[ September 06, 2002, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Pud ]

Hi gang,

Change the color to whatever you want.

The only reason it starts off yellow is (1) just for visibilities sake, (2) it looks a bit odd when tanks/AT guns fire, to have all the white smoke AND the white shockwaves.

It's fairly simple to change the color, and there are only 6 frames of animation, so it's a good idea to tailor it to individual taste.

Originally posted by M. Bates:

Hi gang,

Change the color to whatever you want.

The only reason it starts off yellow is (1) just for visibilities sake, (2) it looks a bit odd when tanks/AT guns fire, to have all the white smoke AND the white shockwaves.

It's fairly simple to change the color, and there are only 6 frames of animation, so it's a good idea to tailor it to individual taste.

Ya changing the color is no big deal. I just wanted to make it a little more realistic. I am experimenting with making not completly round and some different colors here an there in the shockwave.

Do you mind if base this off your mod? I may start from scatch, because I am not happy with the way it looks.

But if I base it of your do you mind?

Originally posted by Shatter:

Do you mind if base this off your mod? I may start from scatch, because I am not happy with the way it looks.

But if I base it of your do you mind?

No problem! When yours is done, maybe Pud could put it on his site so that people can choose from different Shockwave Sets.

Don't forget, you only have room to play with at the top left and top right of the explosion... unless you make the shockwave smaller to have space at the top too.

The secret might be to play around with the use of transparency to create gaps. If each stage of the shockwave is radically different, then maybe it will be even more eye catching.

Originally posted by M. Bates:

Ya I figured that out the hard way. I photoshop to bed for the day. I decided to take a break play a little of the Yelnia Stare scenario, then I got some real life stuff to do later tonight and tomorrow.

Look for the mod in the next few days. I will probably release it with several variations, cause I am on to something and there are several possibilties that are looking pretty good.

I was going to have a go myself as well. Anyone looking for a home for their version, fling it my way.

I still have some hope that when the final version of CMBB comes out this wont be needed but Im not holding my breath :(

Hi all,

I took the liberty of doing my own shockwave mod using the one by M. Bates as a base. I hope he doesn't mind.

Anyway, I changed the colour to white and also added some "animation", so that the shockwave appears to grow and then shrink - as in CMBO.

I also did another version with lots of transparency. Unfortunately the transparency doesn't work very well as this texture (unlike e.g. the smoke textures) is not displayed using the transparency/alpha blending of the graphics hardware. However, it does sort of resemble sparks or an additional flash - thus aiding visual detection of explosions on the part of the player.

Here's the download link: http://dave.allbizhost.net/Flesh_Shockwave.zip

Note: I don't really consider this to be a "production quality" mod. It's just a little experiment of mine that might hopefully give other people some ideas... smile.gif