Twin 128's, never seen one of these before (500k pic)

It's a flak gun alright. 12.8cm as you state. There were hundreds if not thousands of them located to protect important industrial targets in the Reich. Normally they were in fixed mounts. Never heard of one in a mobile mount, and while that doesn't necessarily mean that there were none, I don't believe the one in the picture could have been fired in the configuration shown. It wouldn't be stable enough. More likely that is just a transporter to get it from the factory to its firing pad.

Michael

It's a flak gun alright. 12.8cm as you state. There were hundreds if not thousands of them located to protect important industrial targets in the Reich. Normally they were in fixed mounts. Never heard of one in a mobile mount, and while that doesn't necessarily mean that there were none, I don't believe the one in the picture could have been fired in the configuration shown. It wouldn't be stable enough. More likely that is just a transporter to get it from the factory to its firing pad.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It wouldn't be stable enough. More likely that is just a transporter to get it from the factory to its firing pad.

Michael

Nahh.. it's the mother of all unarmored flakwagons.

Might have been a bit unbalancing in CMBO, considering the wagon bug.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It wouldn't be stable enough. More likely that is just a transporter to get it from the factory to its firing pad.

Michael

Nahh.. it's the mother of all unarmored flakwagons.

Might have been a bit unbalancing in CMBO, considering the wagon bug.

12,8cm Flakzwilling 40

as others suggested, yes it was a fixed rotating mount, the vehicle you see there is probably bogus, actually it used the Sonderanhänger 203 (which looked quite a bit different) with which it could be relocated (transported). was used for local air protection (duh!) of very important cities (used for example in Berlin, Hamburg, Vienna). from the pic it seems it isn't even complete.

essentially two regular 12,8cm FlaK 40 with a special addition for fast rotation.

27 in use in August 1944, 34 in Feb 45. Production started at in July 44 with one and peaked out since December at 12 per month.

not exactly the rarest/oddest piece of equipment.

12,8cm Flakzwilling 40

as others suggested, yes it was a fixed rotating mount, the vehicle you see there is probably bogus, actually it used the Sonderanhänger 203 (which looked quite a bit different) with which it could be relocated (transported). was used for local air protection (duh!) of very important cities (used for example in Berlin, Hamburg, Vienna). from the pic it seems it isn't even complete.

essentially two regular 12,8cm FlaK 40 with a special addition for fast rotation.

27 in use in August 1944, 34 in Feb 45. Production started at in July 44 with one and peaked out since December at 12 per month.

not exactly the rarest/oddest piece of equipment.

I just visited the museum last week with a friend from England. We talked about this gun quite a bit. It looks like a Naval mounting off of a battleship or cruiser, more than anything else. The chassis its on is a heavy lift linear type, one that could be used to move extremely heavy items for ship building moving in a straight line. The gun is simply welded onto the carriage. Talking it over, we thought it might of been unshipped and used at a dock facility like Kiel or St Nazaire. The sign mentioned that the whole thing weighed something like 18 tons (I could be way off, though) so it would have to be a static mount. It's gotta be really rare!

-Ski

I just visited the museum last week with a friend from England. We talked about this gun quite a bit. It looks like a Naval mounting off of a battleship or cruiser, more than anything else. The chassis its on is a heavy lift linear type, one that could be used to move extremely heavy items for ship building moving in a straight line. The gun is simply welded onto the carriage. Talking it over, we thought it might of been unshipped and used at a dock facility like Kiel or St Nazaire. The sign mentioned that the whole thing weighed something like 18 tons (I could be way off, though) so it would have to be a static mount. It's gotta be really rare!

-Ski

Here are 2 360 degree Quicktime Panoramas I took at Aberdeen, both showing the twin gun mount. They are about 3 meg apiece and my servere doesn't have the fastest DL speed. It gives you a good sense of scale to see them next to other guns. They were huge.

http://www.karchfamily.com:16080/aberdeen/pans/pan54.htm

and

http://www.karchfamily.com:16080/aberdeen/pans/pan55.htm

Here are 2 360 degree Quicktime Panoramas I took at Aberdeen, both showing the twin gun mount. They are about 3 meg apiece and my servere doesn't have the fastest DL speed. It gives you a good sense of scale to see them next to other guns. They were huge.

http://www.karchfamily.com:16080/aberdeen/pans/pan54.htm

and

http://www.karchfamily.com:16080/aberdeen/pans/pan55.htm

The trailer is for shipping only. The weapon would be quite unbalanced if rotated upon the trailer and it would have never stood up to firing the weapons in any event.

While the technology is similar to the naval weapons of the same caliber, this is purely a land flak weapon of Heer/LW origins.

The trailer is for shipping only. The weapon would be quite unbalanced if rotated upon the trailer and it would have never stood up to firing the weapons in any event.

While the technology is similar to the naval weapons of the same caliber, this is purely a land flak weapon of Heer/LW origins.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Also, it looks to me like there wouldn't be enough room for a crew up there.

Michael

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Also, it looks to me like there wouldn't be enough room for a crew up there.

Michael

The trailer definately does not belong to the guns. The guns are spot-welded onto the trailer. The their base is also drilled for bolts, which are not installed. If you fired the guns, expect a nice trip as the weld lets go and you go with them over the side!

-Ski

ps: yes I am an idiot: 128s were never used as such on German ships in WWII

The trailer definately does not belong to the guns. The guns are spot-welded onto the trailer. The their base is also drilled for bolts, which are not installed. If you fired the guns, expect a nice trip as the weld lets go and you go with them over the side!

-Ski

ps: yes I am an idiot: 128s were never used as such on German ships in WWII