EFOW and the gamey bastard

The main forum has gone to the dogs lately. Hopefully t&t will start filling with lots of great threads on how to best use the new features and the impact it will have on all us gamey bastards

Like....

From what you've seen from the demo, would you accept an attack/defence QB as attacker with extreme fog of war ON? With no penalties/bonuses?

It would seem to me to be bloody hard. I played Citadel again last night against the AI and it lined up all it's AT guns along the back of the map and just peppered my panzers from long range. They fired 100+ times and I never ONCE spotted any of them. I got a measly draw. I'd hate to think what my score would have been if the AI had cherry-picked it's forces from the whole soviet arsenal.

I'd really like to hear an AAR from a human-human game with efow on. Was it possible to win as axis? I notice that axis get a +200 points bonus for the scenario, which would help.

Of course I am not complaining, because I have never had such fun against the AI ever. Actually, it felt realistic to the point of being quite upsetting :(

:D

I hated being attacker in CMBO, now it scares me to death to attack anybody outside of the AI or someone new to CMBB! A lot has been given to the defender, but I think we will find that the full version of CMBB will have some extra goodies for the attacker; perhaps a higher point ratio over the defender for instance.

Chad

I'm thinking with EFOW an attacker should get something extreme like +100%, while with regular FOW the points should be similar to CMBO. Of course this is just conjecture - because I haven't seen the real game - but I do know that if some noob wants to beat wreck or swamp, october is the month to do it! For a while, QB players are going to be winning games on settings and picks before the map has even loaded.

[ September 05, 2002, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: tecumseh ]

Yes, so long as the point ratios for QBs have been adjusted (I can't see how that could be missed). With at least 2:1 and preferably 3:1 as the attacker, I'd be excited to play a EFOW battle.

EFOW is one good reason to take a tank or platoon of tanks, those big MG loads are super important for area-fire surpression (works well too, had lots of fun with that in the Yelnia mission).

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Yes, so long as the point ratios for QBs have been adjusted (I can't see how that could be missed). With at least 2:1 and preferably 3:1 as the attacker, I'd be excited to play a EFOW battle.

EFOW is one good reason to take a tank or platoon of tanks, those big MG loads are super important for area-fire surpression (works well too, had lots of fun with that in the Yelnia mission).

In CMBO, wasnt it 1.5:1 ratios? If they boosted that up to just 2:1, I would try it out; as long as they promised not to buy any mg's! smile.gif

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cameroon:

In CMBO, wasnt it 1.5:1 ratios? If they boosted that up to just 2:1, I would try it out; as long as they promised not to buy any mg's! smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Speaking of MGs, companies that come with HMGs (and probably Platoons with LMGs) are definitely going to be popular.

Thinking about attacking, I wouldn't want to be an attacker without combined arms. I need those big MG ammo loads! ;) A pure infantry attack is going to be hell, EFOW or not.

I just hope the old rifle companies still come with two MG42's! Better yet, the motorized company that comes with four of them! One of those companies in good terrain could hold off a whole mess of russians!! Especially when each squad also has two MG34's.

Chad

While it seems harder, attacking is not altogether impossible in CMBB with EFOW. The only major adjustment you must make is one needs more time to execute the attack, as it takes longer to move the men into place.

For practice, I advise playing CMBO with green troops.

WWB

Ha, I dont think I will play QB unless Fionn or someone else should come up with a new set of rules

I think most guys will be playing russians in early war to get the heavy KV tanks,just imagine what would happen:

few 7,62 mm guns set up in a line boosted up by a kv tank.

Now if you have to attack as the germans with Mk I and II tanks......................

On the other hand the attacker still has an advantage.

Only he knows where the attack will come from

So my advice is to play on big maps (with lots of turns) only with lots of cover and lot of manouvring area

Use the blitzkrieg tactic

recon in force to find a weak spot and throw in everything you have,good use of combined arms with proper arty/air support should be able to bring you victory

I expect that people are missing the point that increased MG effectiveness can help the attacker as well as the defender. Either set up or move your MGs into positions where they will isolate that part of the line you mean to attack from reinforcements. Then use your other MGs to suppress the defenders while you advance your maneuver squads into positions from which they can assault. Artillery, especially mortars, will be useful in both of these tasks. So will any supporting AFVs as well.

I think we are going to find out why successful attacks required odds of 3:1 or more, often much more, at the schwerepunkt. CMBO was, in retrospect, a bit too easy for the attacker. I think that may have been rectified in CMBB to where it presents an interesting challenge. I think we are also going to find out why the Soviets had their break-in forces reinforced with assault guns and heaavy tanks up to their eyebrows.

Michael