a question about friendly fire at night

I don't think so. From my experience, CM gives small arms an area effect about 20-25m in radius. You can notice this even during the day: if a unit is fired upon by a squad, nearby units sometimes take cover too. During the day, this area effect doesn't affect friendly units, but at night it does. So if you fire at an enemy unit at night, you have to expect every friendly unit within a distance of 20-25m from the enemy to take casualties too. I have never seen a one-on-one fight lead to friendly casualties though, so I don't think a squad can hit itself, except perhaps with grenades, demo charges or similar area effect items.

Dschugaschwili

I would have to disagree. In a game against the AI not so long ago I was chasing a routed unit and took freiendly fire from myself. The enemy was pinned facing the wrong way and my unit was the only one to fire.

Cpl Carrot.

No I don't have the movie :(

Dschugaschwili - one clarification; at night, a unit will even actively target another friendly unit, regardless of the "area fire effect radius" you mention. In other words, friendly fire at night is not restricted to friendly casualties because they're too close to an enemy, but can in fact yield to units targetting units from the same side through mis-identification.

As for inter-squad casualties, no, I don't think so, but am not sure actually.

From my experience, I think that you can.

It happens to me when I'm clearing out pillboxes at night. The crew will pop out of the bunker, just in front of the squad that knocked it out. no target lines appear from the crew, but I lose 25% plus of my squad. No kills are recorded by anyone.

Moon:

I know this can happen, although I don't remember seeing anything like this, probably because I haven't played all that many night battles.

It didn't seem to matter here though.

Cpl. carrot & flamingknives:

How close was your squad to the enemy? I have taken casualties while moving close to/past pinned enemy squads, crews, even AT teams, but only at hand-to-hand range (under 10m).

Perhaps some testing would be required to reveal what's really going on there.

Dschugaschwili

To get specific I've had something what like Cpl Carrot describes happen twice when I've had a squad within about 20 meters of enemy piat teams at night. Both times I took one inexplicable casualty, unless it was a result of hand to hand combat. But the typical sound effect of that was not present. In one case at least it looked like at the same moment as my fire left the squad, it got hit. There was noone else around to shoot at it as I confirmed with my opponent, and none of my nearby friendlies had a targetting line. That's why I thought the explanation might be squad internal FF.