Axis AI refuses to buy tanks?

This occured to me while playing some QBs with the computer purchasing for both sides in 1941 Aug.

I noticed that the Axis AI does not buy tanks. At most he buys, 1 decent tank (pz3 or pz4), and then it proceeds to buy armored cars. Sometimes he throws in some Somua 35 or pz2.

These were all mechanized, combined arms battles.

On the russian side, every time the AI starts with a platoon of tanks!!! Sometimes its tincan T26, but in the majority it is T43 or KV1.

AI purchase would be very nice to have for more historical fights, but in its current state it is unusable.

Could the purchase AI be optimized for next patch?

I think it should always start with a decent tank platoon.

Earlier I was playing a quickbattle with a friend of mine. I believe it was June 41 computer pick.

The AI choose to buy my opponent 3 PzIIIH and 6 Panzer38. . . So i'm not sure it never buys tanks.

By the way, it was on a small map with 700 pts.

I prefer having just about everything set on random for quick battles, really asks you to think about your tactics. Except for hills and tree coverage, nothing worse than an assault over 400 meters of open ground :rolleyes:

[ December 14, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Stug30 ]

Originally posted by BlackVoid:

At most he buys

Perhaps you're looking at it all wrong. Did BTS ever say the AI was a "he?" If you look at like my/your/their wife is buying the units, it makes a lot more sense. (After many years, you start to see a consistancy to the inconsistancy of what they do)

Originally posted by BlackVoid:

It was 1500 points axis probe. Ran it 10 times. 1 pz4/3, and thats it

My guess then would be that the computer is giving some value to map and terrain. Is there something environmental that might be prohibitive to the use of armor or something that the comp doesn't want to invest in it?

Because honestly, I've played attacks, ME, probe, assaults and really have never had this problem.

Also why not set your force at armor, rather than mechanized and combined arms. Or perhaps unrestricted. . . not sure exactly how to answer but I hope this might help.

[ December 14, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Stug30 ]

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

For some reason when you choose "mexhanized" you get no armour. Not sure why.

Huh? Maybe you mean force type. Like armored, combined-arms, mechanized, infantry-only, etc. With mechanized force type you get lots of vehicle points - maybe no armor points?

We're talking about division type. Like infantry, mechanized, SS infantry, Luftwaffe infantry, etc. If you pick mechanized division you get more armor points.

If you pick armored force type you'll get more tanks also, of course.