StugIII error

It appears that they did...

From Achtung Panzer: During the production, modifications were made to Ausf G. They included introduction of 80mm cast Saukopf (also known as Topfblende) mantlet in February of 1944; the coaxial MG in early 1944, installation of Nahverteidigungswaffe (90mm NbK 39 close-in defense weapon) and roof mounted remote controlled MG (Rundum Feuer) in late spring of 1944.

Originally posted by britfish:

It appears that they did...

From Achtung Panzer: During the production, modifications were made to Ausf G. They included introduction of 80mm cast Saukopf (also known as Topfblende) mantlet in February of 1944; the coaxial MG in early 1944, installation of Nahverteidigungswaffe (90mm NbK 39 close-in defense weapon) and roof mounted remote controlled MG (Rundum Feuer) in late spring of 1944.

Hmmm...interesting.

Anyone have a picture?

• 2 weeks later...

Michael

I was just thinking if it is a periscope the lens could be in some type of armored box inside incase a round would come thru the slit to maybe keep it out of the interior. That would mean the driver would be sitting quite a bit lower and I suppose with the already low profile that would be impossible.

It would have been un-nerving to sit there looking thru a little piece of glass when the bullets were flying. What typically would that glass be able to stop?

The glass in front of the driver is a straight glass block, not a periscope (same goes for PzIII, PzIV, Tiger I). The removable glass block is quite hefty looking and should at least stop splinters (and a maybe few rifle rounds?), but not much more. That's why the big armored visor's there to protect the opening. I believe the commander's cupola on PzIII and PzIV has glass blocks and moveable shutters as well.

Can't say for sure what the resistance level of the armored block is, but it couldn't have been all that much since they were apparently prone to damage and replaced often.

Back to the original theme somewhat....

The error of CM is not that the StuG has the coax, but that both the coax and external mount can be fired while buttoned. This was discussed in relation to CMBO a long time ago. Since buttond/unbuttoned status is an all or nothing affair, there was no middle ground for one crew member exposed using the MG behind the shield. It's not that bad of an abstraction, especially as the StuG carries so little MG ammo as compared to say a Pz IV.

Originally posted by RMC:

Can't say for sure what the resistance level of the armored block is, but it couldn't have been all that much since they were apparently prone to damage and replaced often.

Back to the original theme somewhat....

The error of CM is not that the StuG has the coax, but that both the coax and external mount can be fired while buttoned. This was discussed in relation to CMBO a long time ago. Since buttond/unbuttoned status is an all or nothing affair, there was no middle ground for one crew member exposed using the MG behind the shield. It's not that bad of an abstraction, especially as the StuG carries so little MG ammo as compared to say a Pz IV.

Err the External mount or Rundumfeur MG (field trials April 1944), was desgined to be fired from inside/buttoned up.

Oops. My fuzzy memory in action. It wasn't the G (late) that was the issue, it was the regular G that was coded to have 2 coax MGs where one was an abstraction for the gun shield.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001388

This was from the demo time frame and CMBO. CMBB seems to have fixed all of that as there are now 5 versions of the StuG III G; DX, LX, EX, EX Sport and EX-L.

Originally posted by Tankgunner:

StugIII (late) have 2MGs: remote and coaxial

I wonder how that jerries managed to install coax MG-42 in that vehicle...

I think the Germans used the MG38 in all of their tanks & armor because the round barrel fit better.

Originally posted by Pak40:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tankgunner:

StugIII (late) have 2MGs: remote and coaxial

I wonder how that jerries managed to install coax MG-42 in that vehicle...

I think the Germans used the MG38 in all of their tanks & armor because the round barrel fit better.</font>

Originally posted by RMC:

Just got the video Panzers-Marsch!, and part of it is a training film for Panther crews. The tank commander is shown replacing damaged vision blocks in the commander's cupola, so it must indeed have been a very common occurrence. Awesome video BTW, in addition to the Panther training film, there is a second one for 251 half-tracks, and some great footage of Tigers at Kursk..