please...need help!!!

how are you all... i just picked up combat missions beyond overlord(special edition).

i bought the game thinking i could really get into playing this kind of game play, but upon playing i am getting very frustrated!

i am new to these kind of games, never played before... i have played the tutorial in the book and did well, then when i moved onto the next scenerio, man, what a mess they made of me!!! i mean it was all new machinery and stuff which i dont know how to use because the tutorial is very basic...

i am asking for help from whom ever can. could you help a new comer and point me towards maybe somekind of good tutorials for the game? anything that will teach me to play? i would really like to get to play online with others, but at this rate i dont know what to do!!!

again can someone please take the time to help me?thanks for any help!!! good day!

One suggestion...

Go into the Combat Mission - Tips and Tricks forum. One the the first few topics in this forum is called "CMBO/CMBB Anthology of useful posts". Open up this thread and start reading some of the links. It's absolutely filled with valuable information and advice on how to improve your CM game.

If you still have some questions about topics that aren't coverred in that post, feel free to ask around on this forum. There's lots of folks around willing to help you with specific questions or problems.

Don't panick. Just play scenarios or quick battles against the AI, test the new weaponry you get and see the results. It is practice that will give you the most sound knowledge about the game. You will become confident with the game much sooner than you seem to believe.

Welcome!

Yep........you can read for ages but you need to get in there and play some games! Try some of the smaller scenarios and while playing just use your manual to look up things that confuse you. I have put hundreds of hours in the Combat Mission games only to find that I learn something almost everytime I play or visit the forum!

If you purchase CMBB there is a strategy guide available. Enjoy! ;)

[ July 15, 2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

A warm welocme to the world of CM, I hope you'll like it here. This place really is all you need to sharpen your skill.

Re your question: What everybody above me said, but first and foremost READ THE MANUAL cover to cover. It really is good.

v42below

[ July 16, 2003, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: v42below ]

I just got my game yesterday in the mail. Boy is it a lot more fun than the demo.

I too had a little bit of a problem getting used to all the new toys. But I played a bunch of small QBs and tried out some stuff. I'm very far away from trying out everything. There's a lot of stuff. :D

Of course I'm not winning a lot. I'd say about 2/3 of the time on defense and about 1/4 of the time on offense. Lots to learn.

The Tips and Tricks forum is very useful. I suggest when you have the time go back a ways in the forum reading all you can. Trust me, it helps. Good luck to ya.

BigD

Found this useful bookmark to share. Enjoy!

THE COMBAT MISSION BIG ORACLE

by Reverendo

This is an anthology of the most useful posts about Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord found in the Battlefront forum. This has been taken, and carefully reformatted, from the original forum thread located here, as originally compiled by Mark "MarkShot" Kratzer and made available by russelmz (took quite a while, believe me...) and is updated as of December 27, 2002.

wow!!! i play alot of games and have never seen soo many people be so helpfull and not give me ignorance with their replies, THANKS soo much all, i guess i am off to read!!! thanks again...good day!!!

ohhh yea, maybe we will meet on the battlefield someday...!!!! MUHAHAHA!!!

Another thing that helped me out was reading AARs. There are quite a few good ones out there.

Being able to actually read how a person is fighting a battle and why he does what he does is, as I'm finding, very helpful. And when there are a lot of screenshots it's even more helpful.

BigD

AAR is an After Action Report.

There are some at CombatHQ. These aren't too bad. If you look around in the forums here you should find some links to some others too.

Or you could get lucky and some more knowledgable people could point you in the right direction(hint, hint).

BigD

[ July 17, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: BigDork ]

I would imagine that one reason you find some much help is that this type of game attacts people who are interesting in the history and the understanding of the subject matter. Since CM endeavors to simulate real historic events, it appeals to people with an interest in those events.

Since the underlying events are what are important, there is a lot of real-world material that is relevant. Also, the people who like this stuff (like me), are always happy to share information and try to get additional people hooked into the hobby.

As long as new players ask for help in reasonable ways (i.e., not arrogantly) they get a good reception and pointers to lots of handy information.

Hi...

Here's another good site for an AAR Read the ParaBellum vs. MasterGoodale one, it's very good. smile.gif

BigD

I agree that there are many helpful people out there for this forum. I think part of it is because the people who come to this forum really love this game and are willing to share their love for this game with others. I've found the same thing with Civ3 and the forums for that.

thanks...you guys are great!!! thanks for all the info, also, how do you feel about me useing this game as my first...

what i mean is, like i said, i have never played this type of game before... i was just wondering from an expirienced point, if this is the best game for me to learn on, or should i be playing somthing else? if so, what do you all recomend...?

i do like how it is done by turns, i think it would be too confusing to play those "realtime" types.

but, anyway, what do you guys think? thanks again...good day!!!

Stick to this game. There is no other similar out there (apart from CMBB). You will learn little by playing the real-time ones, and in fact some of us had to get rid of bad habits acquired with those games. If you come fresh here, in some way you have an advantage.