Recon... but not fire!

Hi all!

subject says all... even when I select crawl and hide or something the sometimes fire when they should just spot the enemy until I bring in troops to kill them. Or who wants to do recon jobs with the really dangerous units? what if ur enemy is already there...

So is there a way to prevent that these guys will shoot? I want to see my enemy but I don't like it to be seen just because those pigheaded guys don't know what I want, fire back and reveal their position.

Any thoughts/comments?

cheers,

Mika

Sneak is your friend: sneaking troops will not fire unless spotted. Once they've got to their destination and are hidden, target them on a nearby ambush - they will then be less likely to shoot at far-away opponents.

Finally, you can always use units that are less likely to fire: zook teams make nice long-distance spotters, as do command units (with no MG and typically only a couple of rifles, they have little long-distance firepower so the AI won't shoot), FO's, and vehicle crews - wait, is that a cry of "gamey"? biggrin.gif

Ain't that rich...it's "historical" to sneak a 1/2 squad and then use workaround ambush markers, but gamey to recon with the only unit that has enhanced stealth, observation and fire discipline because it's called sharpshooter.

Using sharpshooters for recon is both effective and realistic. Sharpshooters were made to scout out terrain ahead of them main advance, if possible using their shooting skills to a good effect, and reporting back to the commander to report enemy activity and positions. Plus they wont fire at anything closer then 100m, thereby leaving them reasonably safe.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Using AT teams to scout is bloody gamey and unrealistic IMO. The TAC AI sees them as VERY HIGH priority and will unhide units and fire on them often from long distance. Thus they can be used to "draw fire" and give away enemy postions for artillery etc. Use 1/2 teams or snipers for point work. And although possably not realistic, german LMGs are ok to use IMO.

Can some1 with better knowledge of WW2 units/oobs answer me this: Did any sides use deadicated infantry scout teams. I was thinking something like 3-4 men with light weapons and a radio to sneak around and spot enemy postions.

A team like this would sure be handy in CM. Possably with no need for HQ leadership (ie 8 sec pause for a vetern team with no HQ control) and a built in +1 or +2 stealth bonus depending on quality.

[This message has been edited by KiwiJoe (edited 04-02-2001).]