Hide BUG??

Jaws

I've played about 10 battles with an infantry company in defence and in hide positions to ambush the enemy. But the ambush never succeeded. Sometimes a HQ or MG 42 popped up and started firing. Sometimes squads stayed in hide positions with the enemy firing at them? All the troops are veterans! I don’t get this because in CMBO it worked perfect. Do more people have this problem?? And is there a way to solve it?

Jaws

:confused:

you probably need to give them a covered arc command to control their firing - if you don't then the AI decides when it's a good time to pop up and shoot.

The suicidal HQ situation has been discussed here more than a little. So much so that I lost track of the outcome and simply regard it as an undocumented feature of the game.

Be that as it may the answer to your question probably lies in the use of covered arcs. Set them small enough, and overlapping, and you should not have a problem.

Of course covered arcs bring their own issues (e.g if the target moves 1 meter outside the covered arc your unit will stop firing on it), but in life everything is a compromise.

Cheers

Originally posted by Coffin 'Enry:

Of course covered arcs bring their own issues (e.g if the target moves 1 meter outside the covered arc your unit will stop firing on it), but in life everything is a compromise.

Not if the target is a direct threat, the TacAI will overrule the arc.

And, if you use that very-useful 180 arc (hold CTRL down while setting the arc and it does an immediate 180, with range being the only variable), they will almost never move out of the arc (unless they reverse away), unless they move behind you (which usually means you've got a lot more to worry about). And, since everyone has the 180 arc, and usually shoot the guys who they have the best shot of killing, it's like "Auto Overlap" for the arcs.

I've played 2 QB and it works ok with the cover arc method. But for large battle this will be a challenge and it will cost a lot of time. I prefer the CMBO system because it is easier to plan.

[ December 16, 2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Jaws ]

Originally posted by Jaws:

I've played 2 QB and it works ok with the cover arc method. But for large battle this will be a challenge and it will cost a lot of time. I prefer the CMBO system because it is easier to plan.

It takes a little longer to setup an ambush for a group of units but you have much greater control of the distance and exact locations of the ambush. I'll take the longer setup any day over the old system.

That's not necessarily true. Last night, I saw a fast-moving BT track a Panzer III to about 45 degrees outside its arc, stop for the PERFECT dead-on side shot, punch a quick hole in the panzer, and kick it back into high gear.

It was a thing of beauty, let me tell you. And with only a Regular crew!

*sniff!*

smile.gif