CMBB CD Check

OK, this is directed more to the authors of CMBB than anyone else.

Is it really necessary to have a CD check in CMBB? In CMBO one, although it was annoying, it allowed a partial install of the game on the HD.

With CMBB, the game installs itself fully on the local hard drive and only checks the CD at the start, for no good reason. If the game is started without the CD in the drive, a message ,ala CMBO, appears stating you have to have done a full install (which has been done, as there is no other choice) but doesn't allow the game to run fully.

If this is an attempt at copy protection, it is pointless, as these types of protection have been bypassed before.

So, I hereby petition the authors to remove the CD check as part of the upcoming patch.

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

Can't we make our own backup copies for personal use?

That depends on the legislature in your country. Some countries allow you to make as many copies as you want, as long as you don't distribute them and own the original. OTOH in some countries making even backup copies could be illegal.

Many programs exist that can copy copyprotected CD's, although some protection schemes are so devious that they are very hard to circumvent aside from hacking the executable (and usually also very picky about the hardware they run on; one such game stopped working completely when I bought a DVD-ROM to replace my broken CD-ROM).

On page 2, in the License agreement, you are granted the right to make a single copy, solely for the purpose of backup. I guess I've been lucky, I've never had a cd become unusable.

So with the above arrangement, CMBB and CMBO will still be good in 50 years. :D

Making a backup copy of CMBB is pretty easy. You just need to copy the winrar file. The copy protection on CMBB is rather weak, something that BFC admitted to IIRC.

I have a DVD-ROM and a CDR drive on my system. The DVD-ROM has the CMBB disk and has remained there since I got the game. It is almost as if BFC has taken a part of my computer over by adverse possession. The only time I take it out is when I need both drives to copy an entire disk.

Originally posted by tracer:

I have already made a back up, and no,battlefront, I'm not giving them away. The way I see it is I paid for it they can too.

Yeah, I have backups too - mostly because I like to play at work somtimes, but damned if I'm gonna cart my good CDs around in my pack. Probably a violation of the EULA or something, but not with any sort of malicious intent. I use a no-cd crack for CMBO and a duped disk for BB.

Generally I understand the need for copy protection, but with a game like this is it necessary? How in the world would you play this game without a manual - both for learning and for reference. Releasing a pdf was one of the worse things they could have done.

But I'll be the first to admit, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm just an outsider looking in applying simple logic to an industry I know nothing about.

I tried to make a copy for my friend... so he could try the game out (he doesnt have internet and im on a modem so the demo was out of the question) and then buy it if he liked it, but it didnt work... must be some sort of copy protection... but i would have liked it if (not that it would help in this case) it would have worked like CMBO. You could start the game without cd, but you could only play pbem...

Originally posted by -E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

and Ford, I paid for the truck, so why do I need a stinkin key?

A more appropriate analogy would be... I paid for the truck, why can't I take the camper off of it?</font>

Arg.... I pay for EVERY piece of software on my system. I can't stand it when people ask for NO-CD cracks and warez sites and what not. Its drives me friggin nuts. But since i pay for them, i have to deal with all the copy protection crap, and the people who don't pay, don't have to deal with it. I guess i could dl the same cracks, but theres something wrong with that. I've noticed lately that some of the games i've bought don't work if i put them in my CDRW drive. Good thing i have a DVD drive...(WCIII and Neverworking Nights..which i returned anyway).

Edit: I haven't really noticed with CMBB since it hasn't left my drive since i got it, and i haven't played anything else. But the constant swapping of CD's is uncalled for. And you better believe i have every right to make a backup of something i paid for. I don't care what the law is.

Edit Again:

Sorry, did i throw this OT? Well, Hi mom, i guess.

[ November 20, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Baetis ]

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

and Ford, I paid for the truck, so why do I need a stinkin key?

A more appropriate analogy would be... I paid for the truck, why can't I take the camper off of it?</font>