• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Commander:

IMO, its the Merkava 4 Main Battle Tank

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/merkava4/

So does that make the Merkava or the Abrams the best American tank?

Oh, and I have to say that there is no such thing as a beautiful tank. Design asthetics (at least those that could be considered "beautiful") are in direct opposition to effectiveness.

But then again, what is beauty? Is there such a thing as brutish beauty? Is beauty in a tank such that a tank that displays everything that is not beautiful, the i.e. slab-sided beast-like tiger, is in fact beautiful in its ugliness? So where does that leave the moderately attractive, say, the Jadgpanther? Does its advantage is traditional beauty outweigh the "beauty in ugliness" of, say, a su-152??

[ November 05, 2002, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Lumbergh ]

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

Tigers, Panthers, piffle! You guys surely jest. After all, it has been scientifically proven that Bob Semple designed the most gorgeous AFV of all time.

I'm sure one of our Kiwi friends can find a better one, but here is a link to this beauty:

http://mtg.ipx.pl/inne/nz.htm

It looks like white trash are living in there jgdpzr. I can just see the owner with his Budweiser hat, sporting a mullet.

:D

The Semple tank - named after a politician, designed by a committee, built by a public works Dept - what moer could you ask for?! lol

As for teh best looking - I vote for the T-70!

A pretty wee thing - like many pretty wee things it perhaps lacks substance, but it is still pretty! ;)

[ November 05, 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

The Abrams may be the best American tank (I wouldn't say it is the most beautiful of all the American designs) and the Merkava is an Israeli tank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tongue was firmly in cheek there about who funds whom.

Eh, why doesn't Israel just wait for various Middle Eastern Nations to "give" them some more of those free tanks like in 1967 and 1973?

"Mint condition T-55 and T-64 MBTs. Never used, only abandoned once." :D

If things ever calm down over there, I'd love to visit the Armored exibit at Latrun(sp?) some day. Then again I'd love to stop at Kubinka, Aberdeen, and Bovington too. *Sigh*

[ November 06, 2002, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Nippy ]

Originally posted by DevilDog:

The Nazis were sure lucky the Brits and Frogs sided with them on this one. They (Germany) would've gotten their butts kicked if they had actually had to fight Czechoslovakia.

I like the "stuff" you put in your coffee! :rolleyes:

So far we have these standings:

1. Jagdpanther 7 votes

2. Panther, Tiger 5 votes each

4. Hetzer 3 votes

5. T26 2 votes

6. StuG 2 votes

1 vote: BobSemple :eek: , Churchill, Matilda, Chaffee, Ferdinand, T34, KV1, Sentinal, BT7, T35m38, T70, Brumbaer, ISU152, Czech35t

Originally posted by Nippy:

The Abrams may be the best American tank (I wouldn't say it is the most beautiful of all the American designs) and the Merkava is an Israeli tank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tongue was firmly in cheek there about who funds whom.

Eh, why doesn't Israel just wait for various Middle Eastern Nations to "give" them some more of those free tanks like in 1967 and 1973?

"Mint condition T-55 and T-64 MBTs. Never used, only abandoned once." :D

If things ever calm down over there, I'd love to visit the Armored exibit at Latrun(sp?) some day. Then again I'd love to stop at Kubinka, Aberdeen, and Bovington too. *Sigh*

Look at it this way: you get the side-benefits of living in Alaska, one of which is not close proximity to large numbers of old tanks.

Then again, having lived close to Aberdeen and Bovington, I would probably trade those experiences for living close to Denali and heli-skiing. At least from April-August. ;)

Originally posted by Downtime:

Ah, the T-26, even the finnish admired that tank from the looks of it.

So true... It's just gorgeous.

And my second vote goes to Somua S-35. (I just hope I could soon admire it in CMBB also...)