CMBB: Gamey Free Zone?

There are few truly broken things.

I see that the problem that slow units, like HMGs, will practially automatically exhaust to a point of uselessness, will be deliberately exploited.

Other problems I see are not really exploitable.

[ October 19, 2002, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by PeterX:

So far no recon uber recon-jeeps or invincible anti-aircraft platforms. Could be that this one be toxic for gamey tactics? Only time will tell but this new kid could be a keeper. Anyone encountered- or devised- any dirty tricks?

Probably not. A lot of folk are probably still working through all the new units and changes and haven't yet found all the gamey bits.

Also, everyone's still so busy playing that they haven't gotten around to the usual whinging about gamey tactics/units yet.

Mind, there's always going to be gamey play, ahistorical play, and such like, and there will always be players who take advantage of it. But a significant percentage of whining about 'gameyness' comes from people who use it as a smokescreen for their inability to push a tonka toy across the room without having it burst into flames.

But most of those who are losing a lot of games are still busy debating 'how the changes have adversely affected my ability to win, and therefore represent poor modeling of Real World conditions'. Once most of those arguments have been put down, we'll see the next wave of 'I lost, and it's because of this gamey unit/tactic/availability/etc.'

We're still in the 'honeymoon' phase where players are blaming their lack of performance on BFC and too much wine at the reception.

Well there's one thing that kind of drives me nuts, it's the victory condition. I just finished the one at the zoo, for example. I've got three killer tanks, so many squads that I get cramps from all that clicking, I've advanced over the majority of the board and I'm good shape. Defender has a handful of men, and... well that's what defender has. But CM called it a draw.

Ok, you think that's no big deal. But in alot of scenarios, I find myself rushing the flag... so I'll get those extra turns and I can keep playing!!

It seems to me that the "VicAI" just doesn't recognize a *clear and present danger*, not even when it's a clear and present danger of overwhelming proportion. I would vote for CM allowing the battle to continue as long as at least one flag were in clear jeopardy. The way it is now, I alter my decisions based on what "turn" it is.

Eden

Smallwood gots a point.

In demo with citadell shwerpunk(or what ever):

I lost 1 pz3 other got gundamaged and 1 immobilized right next to last flag, enemys forces consisted of crews of guns and those 2 kv's +1 mg and the ****er didn't surrender!

Furthemore a captured mg squoad that I had moved above the last flag to be guarded by the immobilized tank "escaped" and "conquerred" the last flag making my total victory to merely a major vic. :(

Originally posted by TBlaster:

Anti Aircraft guns are still overpowered. One single russian 25mm AA gun neutralized 1 Sturmtiger (gun kill) and 1 Jagdtiger (gun kill)

This happened in a TCP/IP game between me and a friend of mine.

AA guns are extemly accurate, effective, and cheap!

Someone bought a Sturmtiger and a Jagdtiger in the same game against another human being?!

This looks to me to be poetic justice. Not to mention the gods stepping in and saying 'Wot the Bloody Hell?!'

Vastly amusing.

I can't tell if you're complaining about the fact that a 25mm anything got the luckiest hits in human history, or that your choice of Way Big Tanks didn't work out for you.

I think we'll have to see if 25mm AA guns consistently get 'gun-hits' on extremely over-powered German armour, or if your perception of losing a couple of 'strap-on' units to a one time phenomenon constitute a 'bug', or an actually exploitable 'failure of the game engine'.

Your experience , unsupported by the posts of other players, strikes me as the CM equivalent of 'Well, there was this one time I sneezed, and my penis fell off."

Nothing against you, lad. It's simply that without more info, and a clearly defined and explained, not to metion 'infinitely repeatable' set of circumstances, everything else is so much 'my cat's been run over before, but it didn't die'

Originally posted by SpaceHamster:

Furthemore a captured mg squoad that I had moved above the last flag to be guarded by the immobilized tank "escaped" and "conquerred" the last flag making my total victory to merely a major vic. :(

Always, always, always move POWs away from flags. They may get loose—though I personally in over two years of playing have never had one do so—but at least they will do no harm that way.

Michael

It was a 1000 point Quick Battle, Meeting Engagement, with NO rarity (we learned our lesson now ;) )

The Sturm/Jagd Tiger only cost me around 800 points, so I said...what the hell? Why not? The first (and only) shot of the Sturmtiger killed 1 Platoon on Infantry, 2 AT-guns, and a 122SP AT-gun.

After that I got hit about 10-15 times before the "Gun Damaged" message occured. Similar fate for the Jagdtiger. I only had sound contact on the AA gun the whole time.

I am aware that it was quite a lucky shot, but fact is, when I play, I'd rather chose two 20mm or 25mm AA guns over one 50mm AT gun against TANKS. I still think they are overpowered.