Partisans

Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

How does their TO&E vary from region to region, year to year?

Perhaps more importantly, do they have cool hats with separate BMPs?

No hats, only cottonwool lumberjack shirts of three different colours.

ToE will vary from "'39 fork teams" to "'45 rusty carabine squads"

Partisans were not only a nuisance to the Axis forces, but also to the naitive Soviets who's houses they would frequent. It seems they would come out of the woods and basicly raid a house of everything that felt they needed or wanted.

Also, was'nt it the SS's job to eradicate the partisans? One thing i do not think that needs to be modeled is town square butcher scenarios, where you capture as many partisans as possible only to shoot them in front of a crowd later that day.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the Partisans were fighting their gurilla war behind the Axis front lines in occupied territory?

[ July 30, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Gaylord Focker ]

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

...was'nt it the SS's job to eradicate the partisans?

The Heer also raised several security divisions for anti-partisan work. These were organised somewhat along the same line as regular infantry divisions, but had a much lighter artillery compliment. I think they were often armed with captured equipment.

Michael

In 1942-1950? there were also anti-soviet partisans in the Ukraine and the Baltic states. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who's seen them in the previews. The Germans also used some POWS to hunt partisans, and organized other militias( sort of ) to protect their villages, in some areas.

• 3 weeks later...

I can provide a bit of preview about these guys. I found them quite capable infantry. The scenario I played that featured them gave me about a company of them, regular quality (which is probably good for partisans), a few support weapons - ATRs, LMGs and HMGs, one 50mm mortar.

The infantry comes in 4 small squads, with only 2 of them sporting squad LMGs. They do have a few PPsHs, in both squad types (LMG and not), while most have rifles. (PPsh are great SMGs, incidentally, even better than Thompsons in close). The non-LMG squads have limited FP because of this except in close, while the LMG squads are perfectly usable.

This leads to some pretty realistic tactics. You want the enemy to get close to use all weapons. The limited LMGs can suppress at range when required, because men in the open pin so much faster than in CMBO. Staying power is not great because each squad is small, but on the other hand the first men hit tend to be just rifles and make little difference to FP ratings. While the morale holds, the little teams can fire back effectively, though only in close for the non-LMG type.

I found myself using the LMGs "up", trying to cover open areas with fire zones, with the SMG-rifle only squads hanging back farther into a treeline. When the LMGs took too much fire, I slinked them back out of LOS, or sometimes only did so with the most heavily hit one. The SMG-rifles sneaked forward and covered the treeline. When the enemy tried to reach the trees, apparently thinking the LMGs had broken, the PPsh squads stopped them in the open just beyond the trees. Worked very well for me.

I did use the ATRs with them, and found them quite capable against light armor. They fire pretty fast. With fog of war and the bail out clock, they can bang away at the same target for quite some time, and you think they are doing nothing. But then the enemy crew bails out, and you realize they got one. Having 2 firing from different directions helps, both to get flank shots and to avoid suppression by replies.

I didn't see them get close enough to use molotovs. My little partisan company shot up the column coming at it pretty well for 5-10 minutes, and then I had to give up the computer to somebody else wanting a chance.

Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

That would indeed be cool, and something I have proselytized for over the years, but from what I know the CM engine simply can't handle randomized weapon loadouts for squads. I remember talk of this being a possibility with the CMII engine.

Maybe Sept 20 will happily prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Ren

Something else I noticed about the partisans is that they are impacted by global moral more than most other units. In my game, my Partisans did quite well until global morale dropped to the 50%-60% level, then they all broke like a teacup dropped off a tall building. I liked the effect, as it made sense -- these guys were not regular troops; they had the ability to blend right back into the local countryside if things started going badly.

Steve

The small arms mix was fixed for each platoon, with 2 LMG squads and 2 non-LMG squads, and a normal platoon HQ. The LMG squads had LMG, 2-3 SMGs (I forget which, 2 or 3), and rifles, while the non-LMG had 2 SMGs and rifles.

As for global morale sensitivity, that would be great. I didn't notice it, though, because I wasn't the side breaking, at least in the first 10 minutes of my ambush. Also, my partisans might have been relatively well off in that respect as regulars, when most will probably be lower unit quality.

Originally posted by JasonC:

As for global morale sensitivity, that would be great. I didn't notice it, though, because I wasn't the side breaking, at least in the first 10 minutes of my ambush. Also, my partisans might have been relatively well off in that respect as regulars, when most will probably be lower unit quality.

Right. It took quite a while for me to get to that level of morale -- essentially, I had already sprung my ambush and pushed my luck a bit.

Steve

That's truly artful designing if it works that way. Since guerillas do tend to be a tad more fragile, generally, for a number of reasons. All of those features seem to mesh to make CMBB far more realistic than anything released so far.

The partisan scenario I saw had all the partisans as Conscript - except for a few "Elite" green squads!!

That might have something to do with it??

I found this link interesting and educational.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/WWII/20240/20-240c.htm

a few selected quotes from above link

"...a magnetic mine had been attached, presumably by a native railroad worker, to one of the tank cars of a gasoline train. When the mine went off it set the car on fire, and the spreading blaze soon enveloped the entire train. An ammunition train standing nearby was ignited and blent sky high, setting fire in turn to an adjacent forage train. Finally, a fourth train loaded with "Tiger" tanks suffered the same fate and also burned out completely."

That's the sort of thing that can really put a damper on your next offensive. Hope the railroad worker got a medal.

"Within two nights the six to seven thousand miles of track in the area were cut in 8,422 places ..."

"During the night of 19-20 June 1944 ... the partisans attempted 15,000 demolitions on the railroad lines ... successful in 10,500 cases, all in the course of 1 night."

"...more severe and resulted in larger numbers of casualties than actual combat at the front. Many a division brought to the rear for rehabilitation and there, as a sideline so to speak, employed in antipartisan operations, requested after a short time to be relieved of such duties and permitted to return to the front"

One of the ongoing sword of Damocles' things for guerillas is that when their units/bands get large enough to have results, their units have problems with concealment. This is not a good thing for the guerillas.