Gun TacAI broken?

Is it just me, or is it a bug?

It seems to me that a towed gun will always prefer firing smoke over HE if ordered to fire at infantry.

If you target a house, you get HE. If you target infantry inside the house, you get smoke.

Also, in tournament game I witnessed my 105mm RR shoot one HE shell after another at an enemy SP gun, which was strong enough to shrug that off. US Howitzer carrier actually. The RR gun had plenty of hollow charges left, but still they used only HE.. Why?

Is this actually intentional.. Or is it a "feature" of 1.12 that will be fixed in CMBB?

There is a general error in CMBO that often smoke will be fired when HE was ordered, it doesn't only affect towed guns, but also mortars and tanks.

Just right now I'm a tcp where a StuG fires smoke at an MG in the upper level of a house.

From experience, guns seem to give high preference for smoke over HE whenever they're ordered to fire at infantry. Maybe they're afraid of small arms fire or whatever. I like towed pieces, even if they're much harder to deploy, they're much harder to take out once in place. So I see this behavior quite often.

Originally posted by Panzerman:

That's strange, I have hand all version of CM 1.0 through 1.12 and have never had this problem. Very strange.

You lucky SOB.

In my experience this only happens later in the battle when you've spent the majority of your HE. Then, ratio-wise, you've got "lots" of smoke and "few" HE rounds left. So the TacAI chooses the most plentiful "effective" rounds available to fire first. Since smoke doesn't "work" against a building/area target, it won't be choosen.

On the other hand, smoke does "work" against live targets so the TacAI chooses smoke when it has lots of smoke and relatively few HE left.

I'm not touching on shell selection against armored targets , though I imagine similar things go on.