Split squads am I missing something?

In a recent scenario the set up had all the rifle squads split into 6 man teams located far apart from each other, some in command others not. I assumed that I could just move them back together and reform as a full 12 man squad by getting them in proximity to each other. They wouldn't form into full squads even when under their own CO. I tried looking at the squad designation numbers to see if you had to match specific teams with each other but couldn't make sense out of it.

I played most of the scenario with half squads thinking that it was designed that way when lo and behold some of my teams formed up into full squads. The only thing that that I could notice is that one of the 6 man teams was down to one man when it combined with another team.

Is there anything I could have done to get them to form into full teams?

I am trying to learn how to utilise split squads so the other question I had is that if you use split squads to recon an area and then try to have them regroup later on do they have to be next to the other half of the original squad or can they reform with any half squad?

Any info will be helpful. :confused:

Each squad that is split will have a designation:

i.e. C-1a & C-1b

The C-1a will only combine with C-1b to make the original C-1 squad. They won't combine with "foreign" squads. The "a" squad controls the morale of the reformed squad so you might want to scout with the "b" squad so if it gets routed you can recombine with the "a" squad. They will recombine at the end of a turn if they are close to each other.

Two half squads don't have the combined firepower of a full squad so you don't want to engage with you split squads generally.

Keep your split squads together in the same part of the map.

- xerxes

when i first started playing, i thought that the letters would recombine (ie, c-1b and c-2b would combine). dont make that mistake either! or maybe it was just me? smile.gif

they should be able to recombine even if they are not in C&C. also, remember when you are defending, if you split all of your squads, you can recombine them and get double the foxholes!

Split squads are great for recon work when you are advancing. But as soon as they bump (and you should be sneaking with them so they don't start the firefight)get them the hell out of there. Their effectiveness is only in being eyes for the troops that follow; they are good for little else. Try to use squads whose leader has the "Star" command radius bonus so that he can be well behind them with the other two support squads and can get the platoon wheeled into action quickly.

On defence, each split will dig a foxhole, so spread your splits into two belts and as soon as your forward split smells trouble use the "Withdraw" command to immediately get them back to the mainline, or if the enemy is weak and you'd prefer to defend forward, rush up the other half and combine in the frontline foxholes.

Good Luck!

If you use split squads on setup as Kiltie Lad brought out, you can sometimes trick your opponent into using mortar or gun ammo on empty foxholes.

On setup, use teams to establish foxholes in the treeline. The other teams set up deeper in the woods. On the first move, bring most of your troops back to the second line of foxholes deeper in the woods. I'd leave one team up for spotting purposes. A variation on this, depending on the shape of the woods, would be to set up the second line of foxholes far enough back that they won't be readily seen, but close enough to fire to the treeline and into the open but perpendicular to the treeline foxholes.

Depending on terrain and weather, your opponent may see the treeline foxholes and begin firing on the empty foxholes with mortar, gun, tank or MG fire. Getting no return fire, he may advance infantry to the foxholes in the treeline.

Then, well, you know what to to do ....

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]