Will tanks be able to run over buildings in CMOB?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JBBob:

I'm sorta new to wargaming, but wouldn't it make sense to allow tanks plow through buildings rather than go around em? I do it all the time in Panzer Elite.<hr></blockquote>

If you want to damage your tanks gun, break the bow MG, knock the optics out of alignment, get tons of dirt in the air intakes, risk a fire, or get buried then it seems like a reasonable tactic to me.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

If you want to damage your tanks gun, break the bow MG, knock the optics out of alignment, get tons of dirt in the air intakes, risk a fire, or get buried then it seems like a reasonable tactic to me.<hr></blockquote>

Gee you take all the fun out of it ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

If you want to damage your tanks gun, break the bow MG, knock the optics out of alignment, get tons of dirt in the air intakes, risk a fire, or get buried then it seems like a reasonable tactic to me.<hr></blockquote>

Don't forget bogging in the rubble or passing through to the cellar.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Pity about the driver breaking his nose on the periscope, and the gunner putting his eye out with the elevation lever....<hr></blockquote>

Bah pillepalle. You have to sacrifice somefink for the ultimate HD position. Or even turret down if you are in Guderian's duckling.

Actually, no Yaphank, they wouldnt have done that either. ;)

On top of everything else mentioned here an important concern was to not damage or cover any of the tanks vision ports, something which could easily happen if a tank entered a building. I have footage here of a Tiger being demonstrated to Hitler and although it easily flattened a building it was covered in rubble. Vision from a tank is so limited to start with that covering any such ports could be the difference between life and death.

Dan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Yaphank:

If not a building then how about a wall? I think that would be a feasable requirement for a tank? You guys talk like these things were made out of egg shells. :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

One of my favorite photos of WW2 shows a German Tiger I in Normandy that backed up into the pile of rubble that was once a house, then had to be evacuated under fire when it got stuck.

Maybe not "made out of egg shells" but still machinery, and machinery can break down or be broken up in innumerable ways.

To be fair, I've read of tanks hiding in rubble and busted up houses/buildings, but only when the busting up was done by something else (like shellfire) and the tank was carefully guided into place by a dismounted spotter.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Yaphank:

If not a building then how about a wall? I think that would be a feasable requirement for a tank? You guys talk like these things were made out of egg shells. :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

What??

NO ever told you that in fact that is EXACTLY what tanks are

"Egg Shells with Hammers"

thats why sometimes it only takes ONE round and BOOM! Scrambled eggs! smile.gif

-tom w

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

[QB]

Maybe not "made out of egg shells" but still machinery, and machinery can break down or be broken up in innumerable ways.

QB]<hr></blockquote>

I just think that the option of running through a wall and risking a disabled tank or taking the long way around would be interesting. I guess the point is moot anyway.

smile.gif