M1 Undermodeled?

I was told about the awl by an old digger, who had served in WWII, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam whom I knew, Michael.

I suspect the awl was more a hangover from when the knife was originally a "sailor's knife" than anything else. My question is, why did the Swiss feel the need to put so many tools on their knife?

When I was in the Sea Cadets as a lad, we were issued with Marlin Spikes. Just like your knife, but no blade, only the spike. We sometimes used the marlin spike for piercing canvas, but mostly while splicing rope. You use it to help seperate the rope strands when interleaving them, and also to push the end of the strand through the gap. Also of use when trying to undo knots that have been under strain. There's even a knot called a Marlin Spike Hitch which you quickly use to tie the rope around your knife so you can use it as a handle to give some purchase when pulling it tight, but is instantly removable afterwards.

The ingenious marlin spike was used to pierce holes in the potatoes, which the intelligent British would then push onto one of their legendary potato shish-kebabs.

This made maximum usage of oven space, cooking time, and ease of handling. So BTS, there should be a reduction in men absent with nastly little finger burns of 1.74% for Commonwealth forces.

This post, right here, is THE essence of BTS battlefront.com bulletin board....

What started as a quick glance at this post before I swith off my computer and close shop has me transfixed to the screen. Yes, I'm typing (CHUCKLING for the past 4 minutes )in this godforsaken thread. Wife just called asking me if "If I have a HOME, whats taking me so long!"

I assume the gentlemen here have too many hours on hand. Care to let my Portguese wife give some local chores.

smile.gif