Does the infantry unit size matter in spotting and hit chance?

Hello.

I came back to the CMAK discussion forum to ask another question, mostly about half squad. ;)

Is the half squad considered as harder to spot than the entire squad?

If so, is the hit chance for inflicting casualties different from the normal squad?

It might fit to situations like moving quickly the unit on short open terrain under fire. With half squad the unit could be unspotted by the enemy so it can reach the other waypoint ( but it can be cancelled by the weakened morale of a half squad) .

Originally posted by Darkmath:

Also, is a 12 man squad more likely to take a casualty than a 9 man squad?

Neither exposure percentage nor firepower rating show this. Is this effect modelled anyway?

Moreover, I don't think it is possible to prove it by running tests.

When you get down to the last couple in a squad, they are harder to kill than before so it may have en effect.

Darkmath

All good questions. Been playing this game for so long and I don't know the answer.

Looking for a definitive answer.

Is the chance of spotting an infantry squad unit directly proportional to the number of men in that unit?

ie. twice as hard to spot a 5 man unit than if it were a 10 man unit.

Similarly, is the chance of killing a man in an infantry unit directly proportional to the number of men in the unit.

ie. twice as likely to kill a man in a 10 man infantry unit than if it were a 5 man infantry unit.

Would be interesting to know exactly how BTS handled this.

Bull

I don't have sources to back me up on this, but I'm reasonably sure that larger squads (e.g. 12 man) are more resilient under fire than small squads (e.g. 8 man). One component of morale is losses suffered as a percentage of the total squad, so when a small squad suffers a casualty, the squad takes a bigger morale hit than a larger squad would have.

On the question of whether the larger squads are easier to hit, I don't have an answer. The fact that you can stuff two small squads into a small building but can't do it with larger squads suggests that the game recognizes that large squads occupy more space, so it would be reasonalbe to assume that they would be more vulnerable to area effect weapons, like artillery. I'm less sure about vulnerability to aimed fire, like small arms.

My own seat-of-the-pants experience on this is that split squads (teams) may be harder to see but not 'reduced' squads. I can't recall a pattern where a full-up squad in scattered trees was spotted while the whittled-down squad (3 okay, 6 wounded) next to it wasn't. That's barring other factors. If a recently reduced squad is surpressed they'll probably be hugging the ground.