infantry

coe

Originally posted by KG_Steiner:

i was just trying to add to the thread, put a word in for the canadians, as i have alot of freinds either in the service now, or used to be. not quite sure why you have used this as an excuse to belittle me, but you are obviously a very learned man, and it seems beneath you. it was not my intention to incur your wrath, but you obviously think im some kind of idiot. this is the internet, and as you know, arguing here is just about the most pointless exercise known to man. a sorry would be nice, but if not, well, there is no recourse.

have a nice day dorosh.

Didn't mean to belittle anyone; it just bugs me when Canadians feel the need to get up on a soapbox and spout the same tired old myths about themselves when half of them aren't even true. It makes all of us look bad, and frankly, a bunch of lame cheerleading doesn't add anything to the discussion of infantry tactics in WW II. How good we were at Vimy Ridge (one 'm') or how good we are now really has nothing to do with it. So it's about as off topic as arguing.

If you want to pitch in to a discussion of WW II infantry, fine, at least contribute something on topic. I think the deeds of the veterans (such as Tom's father in law) speak for themselves. That's why I posted what I thought was a solid example of our way of doing business. The deeds are more interesting and pertinent than a rah-rah or two. No?

KG, for Dorosh, that's kind of like a 'sorry'. Pay it no mind, lad. You'll get a lot more abuse dumped on you if you hang around, and after a while, you'll even come to like it. This is simply a very contentious lot, and they usually don't mean anything personal by it.

They tend to be a bit 'short' with sweeping generalizations, and unsupported opinionated statements. But anyone can play, as they say! I, personally, read more than I contribute. Of course, I post far more than I read. But that's a completely different issue ;)

Good flippin grief, don't apologize for me here, too! This is reaching epidemic proportions. Grrr... You have a lot of nerve presenting me as anything but the unwashed cretin I have strived so long to become...three years of reading the Peng Challenge Thread , taking notes, studying the nuances, seems to have been for naught....

Look, can't we divvy up the newbies in order to cultivate some long lasting enmity? Like, you take guys with screen names starting with letters A through L, I'll take M through Zed. I'll let you have Q, sweeten the deal a little. No?

Michael, I am, after all, the Nice One of the Peng Challenge Thread. Of course, that's a bit like being Albert Speer.

So I have to find ever more imaginative ways of being a compleat bastard.

By running around the Forum 'apologizing' for you, and attempting to humanize you, I show my artistry in this matter. First, I convince newbies that you're human, which misleads them, possibly into horrible errors in personal judgment.

And it annoys you.

So, as you can see, not only have I done two perfectly nasty things, but I come off as a 'nice guy' in the process.

I like to think it's a sort of 'genius'. Really, they ought to ban me for this sort of thing.

Originally posted by Determinant:

I find a map I like in a book, scan it, reduce it to a 16 color bitmap, then I change it to a 256 color bitmap (since they use the same palette as gifs) and colour in the stuff by hand. I use MS Paint, the cheap program which comes with Windows. Quite simple to do, just takes time - as evidenced by this thread I obviously have a lot of that these days... ;) Nothing more fancy than that. I use the text tool to retype all the labels. Once I'm finished, there are no copyright infringements, and the maps have a more uniform feel than just scanning black and white or colour maps out of books.

Originally posted by KG_Steiner:

fair enough mike, i'll keep that in mind. i can be a bit of a troll when i write posts like that, i guess im baiting people to respond, so i have some more interesting stuff to read. but thanks for slapping me back in line.

///:-

I don't know that I'd call you a troll, but certainly nationalistic cheerleading whomever does it accomplishes little. Unless you're Finnish, then it is expected of you. ;)

Now, when you do get that reading done, I think many of us would be interested in your impressions of what you read, then we can all have a civilized discussion of it. I'll look forward to that.

[ September 17, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Look, can't we divvy up the newbies in order to cultivate some long lasting enmity? Like, you take guys with screen names starting with letters A through L, I'll take M through Zed. I'll let you have Q, sweeten the deal a little. No?
Gah! That means I'm on Dorosh's list! I take "newbie" to mean anyone who hasn't sucked the deepest scum of the Pang Thread, no?

Ah, well. Do your worst. [closes eyes, stiffens spine]

Originally posted by Martyr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Look, can't we divvy up the newbies in order to cultivate some long lasting enmity? Like, you take guys with screen names starting with letters A through L, I'll take M through Zed. I'll let you have Q, sweeten the deal a little. No?

Gah! That means I'm on Dorosh's list! I take "newbie" to mean anyone who hasn't sucked the deepest scum of the Pang Thread, no?

Ah, well. Do your worst. [closes eyes, stiffens spine] </font>