Bogged but still going...

I'm not sure if this a bug or not but I noticed something really weird this evening. I was playing HSG: Welcome to Africa when my SPW 231 ( 8-rad ) got bogged. This wouldn't be strange in itself as I know bogging can represent things other than just being stuck in the mud. The weird thing is that I had ordered it to move quickly over an open patch of ground & when it was in the middle of this open patch it bogged down. However it kept going for several meters/feet ( whatever CM's unit of measure is for distances ) - kind of like the Energizer Bunny :D - while showing in the unit info panel that it was bogged. Every other time I've seen a vehicle bog it stops dead in it's tracks/tires.

This is the first time that I've ever seen this happen. Anyone else?

[ March 07, 2004, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I'm not sure if this a bug or not but I noticed something really weird this evening. I was playing HSG: Welcome to Africa when my SPW 231 ( 8-rad ) got bogged. This wouldn't be strange in itself as I know bogging can represent things other than just being stuck in the mud. The weird thing is that I had ordered it to move quickly over an open patch of ground & when it was in the middle of this open patch it bogged down. However it kept going for several meters/feet ( whatever CM's unit of measure is for distances ) - kind of like the Energizer Bunny :D - while showing in the unit info panel that it was bogged. Every other time I've seen a vehicle bog it stops dead in it's tracks/tires.

This is the first time that I've ever seen this happen. Anyone else?

I don't know about the bogging but that HSG scenario is a really good one!! :D

It doesn't hurt that it is mine... ;)

I like that fact that you are playing it again. Thanks for the review you did on the scenario earlier.

Sorry I couldn't resist! I can resist everything but temptation. :rolleyes:

Panther Commander

[ March 08, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Panther Commander ]

I'll continue the slight digression:

I've had a Pz IV (maybe a StuG III) push a mobile, armed Soviet AC (BA-6?) into some rubble. It was able to rotate the chassis but ate too many grenades before we could find out if it could leave the rubble.

In the scenario editor, I've plopped buildings down on top of AFVs: they could rotate the turret and fire out with what seemed to be normal LOS restrictions, but not leave the building. Can't remember if they could rotate the chassis.

[ March 10, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Originally posted by JasonC:

"a PSW233 running at top speed bogged, then slid INTO a patch of tall pines and stuck there. It is right in the trees..."

Repeating over and over, "a deer ran into the road"... (obscure PJ O'Rourke reference)

Don't laugh -- I've used that one before. God bless P.J.!

Steve

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

I'll continue the slight digression:

In the sceanrio editor, I've plopped buildings down on top of AFVs: they could rotate the turret and fire out with what seemed to be normal LOS restrictions, but not leave the building. Can't remember if they could rotate the chassis.

Yes, I've done that too. The tank cannot rotate it is stuck in whatever facing you leave it.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Can't say that I've ever done that.

It makes for some very nasty surprises. You can do the same thing with pillboxes inside houses.

The other day I was playtesting a scenario with a pillbox in a house. A Sherman rubbled the house and I drove on thinking all was well. My infantry found that all was not well when a very healthy pillbox opened fire on them.

Panther Commander

That is so cool...it's practically frozen.

:cool:

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Can't say that I've ever done that.

It makes for some very nasty surprises. You can do the same thing with pillboxes inside houses.

The other day I was playtesting a scenario with a pillbox in a house. A Sherman rubbled the house and I drove on thinking all was well. My infantry found that all was not well when a very healthy pillbox opened fire on them.

Panther Commander </font>