UK sherman question

Ok I am a bit confused here.

The US M4a3 Sherman

WHat is it's designation in the UK models?

The site I read say it was the MK IV, but we have no MK IV in game and the net says they never entered production.

Which is BS because I have a model here of a UK Sherman from Italy that is labeled as a m4a3.

What MK is the m4a3?

Confused by research and no sleep

The U.S. preferred the M4A3 and by war's end pretty much standardized on it. They tended to keep the A3 for themselves, I think i heard/read the UK got a VERY limited supply of them at some point. I don't even know if they went into battle with them. The most M4A3-looking Brit tank in-game is the late diesel MkIII (M4A2). Little more than engine deck details distinguish it from a U.S. late M4A3.

Ok good to know. I read a wiki article (that matched a bunch of other articles) that said for the most part, m4a3 never entered UK production. Since I was going to start a series of Brit tanks using a cerian camo scheme, I had my die cast tank out last night photographing all the angles. I looked down at the display plate that it sits on and it said UK British M4a3 Sherman Royal Scots Greys..........ITALY.

So I was searching all over CMAK to find this UK m4a3. Al I could find were sites that said m4a3 was never made for UK and I knew that was crap. There had to be SOME. But the game doesn't have them in the BMP lists for UK. So I guess the next best thing is what you told me Mikey. Seems odd that both Corgi and Forces of Valor would make a die cast tank that never existed though. Or at least was so very rare people decided to off the list.

Thank you for the page Kingfish. It will help me as I mod these tanks.

Exactly; Sherman III and Sherman V seem to have been most common; Sherman I was used with a variety of guns also - 75mm, 17-pdr and 105mm howitzer, known as Sherman I, Sherman I© and Sherman I(B) respectively. Or somefink. Some of the Sherman V were also used to mount the 17-pdr and were known as Sherman V© when so configured.

Alot of people over the years have relied on the ancient Chamberlain & Ellis "British and American Tanks of WWII" for Brit Sherman designations and have been burned-burned-burned! I was compelled to mod the BFC cast-hull Firefly IIc into a hybrid Ic because (Chamberlain & Ellis not withstanding) the cast hull was never made into a Firefly due to issues with cast-in bulkheads (um... last I read - this stuff keeps changing!).

I recall Chamberlain & Ellis may have a Sherman MkIV in their out-of-date Sherman listings.

It's great that Tamiya chose the M4A3 to model so early on, it being so common in US service, but it seriously warped the minds of modellers in Commonwealth countries who had to wait for Dragon to come along with some decent CW kit.

Interesting camo scheme, btw. Are you sure that is an M4A3, though? Looks like an early M4 with the vision blocks for the driver and co-driver from this angle.

Interesting artwork on your home page, too.