Why do vehicles ignore plotted movement?

I don't understand why jeeps not under fire and having no enemy units in sight ignore their plotted movement down a STRAIGHT road and instead drive off the road into trees, reverse (still in the trees), stop, restart, generally mill around, and end the turn with remaining plotted movement that doesn't resemble the movement I originally plotted.

I'm willing to accept that units might disobey my orders to charge an enemy position, but why would a jeep not obey my order to drive down a road and instead drive into scattered trees?

If vehicles get too close to each other while trying to take a similar route (for example the same road) to reach destination X it can lead to a huge cluster**** of reversing, stopping and turning around vehicles.

It is possible to plot even very complex and orderly advances in cramped roads but the planning can and will take some time. I just plotted movement of 12 jeeps, one tank and two halftracks via a winding mountainside road, and it would have turned to a huge mess without careful thinking and timing of movement (mostly using the "pause" order and different speeds).

Keeping distances safe usually negates the kind of problems you faced.

Or then there is some sort of a bug, but everytime my vehicles start acting up I have been able to trace it to a mistake I made myself.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Please send me a save game with orders plotted which show this and I will have a look and see whats going on.

Madmatt

Matt, could we please get a convoy order in CMx2??!!!! PLEASE??? I'm begging you!!! Just give me an order that one vehicle will follow another one in a nice orderly fashion. Nothing special, very simple in fact. Don't try to run over each other, don't mix speeds, just keep your place in line and move along...that's all I want. Nothing special just a little order out of the chaos. It would make most scenarios much more enjoyable to lose the CM road rage. And while we are at it. Could we lose the CMRB as well? You know the CM reinforcement ball. The one where two platoons come in together as a mixed up ball instead of in clumped groups. Then you spend lots of time, sometimes turns if the ball is big enough sorting them out.

Thanks in advance.

Panther Commander

with vehicles going down a road, start with vets then move to conscript at the back. give the ones to the rear extra waypoints to increase their delay incrementally plus pauses for blocks of time.

i've got 20 AC's followed by 9 tanks following each other merrily. and it only took about 40 mins to set it up. so yes, a 'follow vehicle' command would be very welcome.

I emailed you two files. The first file shows the orders, the second file shows the results. I can't understand why the jeep should leave the road and move randomly through the scattered trees. It's particularly frustrating when the next turn starts with totally new vehicle movement plots with multiple short segments mixing random forward and reverse motions, all of which must be cancelled before I can restore the movement orders I originally wanted.

One suggestion on this thread never occurred to me: sequence convoy vehicles in order of driver quality, crack drivers at the front and conscript drivers at the rear. I tried a 10 second pause for vehicle 2, 20 seconds for vehicle 3, and so on, and I still got a mill around.

HP (MOS was 71331)

I looked over the save games in this situation the jeep finds the road pretty well blocked by a stationary Sherman tank and another jeep. Therefore he does the only thing he can and replots around the perceived road blockage which is through some scattered trees to the roads side.

Madmatt

Matt -- when I plotted the movement for the jeep, there seemed to be plenty of room between the stationery tank and the stationery jeep, and I was using the "realistic" scale setting. You seem to be suggesting I should use a higher magnification scale when plotting movement to guarantee the moving driver doesn't replot the movement to avoid a collision. Is CM putting a "zone of collision" around vehicles so that two x foot wide jeeps can't move side by side down a road that's more than three x feet wide?

I find the 'zone of collision' in CM to be very tight - usually involving overlapping polygons!

A stopped vehicle in or close to a collumn can create a cascading effect. One vehicle hesitates slightly, the second vehicle stops and plots a path around it, the third vehicle stops and backs up to avoid the second vehicle, the fourth vehicle... etc. etc. Moving multiple vehicles down narrow roads is the one thing in this game that requires a bit extra patience and practice.

This isn't exactly ahistorical. In the book "Death Traps" the author say for convoy travel like that a certain (pretty high) percentage of breakdowns, collisions, vehicles in ditches, etc. is to be expected and a wrecker is invariably chosen to follow up from the rear to help stragglers.