Panzer units in Italy 1943-45

I recall I've seen lots of photos of StuG IIIs, StuG IVs, Elefants and Nashorns in Italy, plus a variety of Marders. I'm wracking my brain about whether I've seen any Hetzer or JpzIV pictures... maybe yes on the Hetzer, maybe no on the JpzIV? Definitely no JagdPanthers.

FJ-PD HG

LSSAH

16. SS PGD

16., 24., 25.PD

3., 5., 29.,90.PGD

sPzAbt 504

PR69 with

I./PR4

Sturmpanzerabt. 216

Panzerabt. FKL 301

sPzAbt 508

Tigergruppe Meyer

2., 3. Pz.Sich.Kp

Pz.Einsatzkp.35

On 15th March 45 the following units were left (with operational tanks):

26.PD (7 Stug, 63 Panzer IV, 5 Flakpanzer, 22 Panther)

29.PGD (12 Stug, 44 Panzer IV, 7 Flakpanzer)

90. PGD (38 Stug, 1 Panzer IV, 8 Flakpanzer)

sSPzAbt 504 (32 Tiger)

All from Jentz, Panzertruppen.

Jentz is not giving us info on sPzAbwAbt (SP) with Nashorn/Elefant, or independent Stugabteilungen, so these would be additional. Hetzers would most likely be part of divisional AT battalions.

31. ID at some point had 31 Panzer III lang.

There were quite a few Flammpanzer in Italy.

Does anyone know which unit first had Panthers in action in Italy? In Daniel Dancocks "The D-day Dodgers" Canadians in Italy 1943-45 he mentions Canadians were the first units to engage Panthers. Some really first rate accounts are reported both infantry and armoured actions in D-day Dodgers. If I am not mistaken Dancocks mentions 1st Panzer Regiment as the unit with the Panthers (could he be refering to HG Panthers? Or other? This work is an excellent account of the Canadians in Sicily and Italy, I highly recommend it.

[ June 16, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Waycool ]

The Hermann Goering Pz Div was outfitted with Panthers for their 1st Pz Battalion some time in Nov - Dec 1943. In late 43 - early 44 the 26th Panzer was out fitted with Panthers for their 1st Pz Bat. Their were two independent Panther Battalions rushed in as a reaction to the Anzio landings but I think they later got absorbed into other non-Italian front Pz. Div's. The other Pz Div's were withdrawn from the front before upgrading to Panthers. None of the Pz Gren. Div's (including the 16th RF SS) were equiped with Panthers.

David I

From Nafziger's "The German Order of Battle Panzers etc."