Since you're making a patch anyway, quick question...

tooz

(This is actually a CMBB question but has ties with AK.) Since the good ole boys at BFC are wiping off the pie from their faces I think this may be time to raise one simple, albeit naive question: We now have multi-turreted tanks in the code (Grants,Lees and MII/39s). So, is it possible for BFC to do a quick CMBB add-on (something we could download) and give us the sorely missed T-28s, T-35s, and Lend-Lease Grants and Lees? Hell, I would even pay money for this! If multi-turreted AFVs can appear in CMAK is it possible to do the same for CMBB? How much different is CMAK from CMBB? To be honest, I STILL prefer CMBB (I am playing more BB than AK).

I know, I know, we are too busy working on CMx2, but how about something quick--for Christmas? I dare suggest that if BFC needs help perhaps give a loyal BFC Forum speaker and modder (for example MickeyD) the necessary coding and permission needed to make these tanks and then code these into a download or disk? Forgive me if this is a stupid computer question for I AM a stupid computer user.

Just wondering, I mean, maybe I won't LIVE long enough to see CMx2! Can you guys at BFC throw us a bone to replace this "patch bone" that is lodged in our throats?

Yeah, okay. For me it seems odd that CM never had an expansion kit for existing games. There was CMBO, then CMBB and CMAK, but these are more like modules (to coin the old SL/ASL terms as opposed to inexpensive expansion packages. CMBO is now too old, but BB could use some spice--especially the tanks and CMAK REALLY misses Vichy French, Greeks, and other things.

Would this really be that big of a deal for some tweaks.

I guess I don't want to sit around and wait for a new engine that may NOT even be available in 2005. Er, I'm getting older. Heck, I cannot even look forward to Wartime Command any more (who knows if that will ever be released)! So, give me something! Please?

Moon et al have very strongly stated that the next game will be published in 2005, not a day later. I doubt they would claim that if it didn't seem reasonably likely (and they have experience now).

And when that happens, it's ALL OVER for the previous games! We will have to burn our CMBO-CMBB-CMAK discs, crush with hammers the harddrives where the games were installed with, wear sacks made out of horsehair, and PRAISE THE BFC for showing us the RIGHTEOUS WAY, a wargamer's PARADISE ON EARTH.

Tooz - you make a good plea!

I think it all depends on what sort of game CM2 will be. If it is a continuation of the WW2 CMBO/CMBB/CMAK sagas I trust that we will have a game framework that will enable all units and all theaters to be incorporated at the scenario designers whim; (with of course updated graphics etc)

If however CM2 is some sort of "Space Marines in Neverwinter" then I would sincerely hope (and beg) that an expanded version of CMAK be released to encompass all of WW2. I would pay good money for such (even more if it was OSX friendly).

This may seem somewhat of a niggle - but what we have is a near as D*mm*t perfect game so that any requests for improvements tend to be pedantic.

Regards to all, David

Have the people who ask for "just a little add-on" ever done any programming. Coding finite element models or CAD models is similar. sometimes it's easier to start from scratch rather than modify old code. Especially if it's one you haven't played with in a while.

In addition, Sod's law as applied to programming states that copy/pasting a section of code from one program to another will almost never work.

Originally posted by Sergei:

And when that happens, it's ALL OVER for the previous games! We will have to burn our CMBO-CMBB-CMAK discs, crush with hammers the harddrives where the games were installed with, wear sacks made out of horsehair, and PRAISE THE BFC for showing us the RIGHTEOUS WAY, a wargamer's PARADISE ON EARTH.

Are you insane? No, wait, never mind. Let me rephrase that: Have you become even more insane than before?

Michael

I won't let CM1 aside if BFC goes on another era. I'll just waste more time downloading mods, modding interfaces and play four games instead of three :D .

Now Sergei, since CM2 isn't out yet and since we *cough* all wish it'll be WW2 *cough* (so that all your stuff will effectively be junk), what's the one ulimate battle you've created you would recommend ? I'll be happy to contribute to your designer glory :cool: .

Cheers

I played the original Medal of Honor on the playstation and it was a better game than the Current Medal of Honor series. Several of the stand out games have gone the same route as far as Im concerned and I am afraid that CM will follow suit with a lot of graphics and not much else. To me a game is a scaffold that boosts you up to where you can use your imagination to the fullest and this the present CM series does very well I hope that CMx2 will offer an even greater lattitude to our imaginations. smile.gif poppys

"Have the people who ask for "just a little add-on" ever done any programming. Coding finite element models or CAD models is similar. sometimes it's easier to start from scratch rather than modify old code. Especially if it's one you haven't played with in a while.

In addition, Sod's law as applied to programming states that copy/pasting a section of code from one program to another will almost never work."--Flamingknives

This was the answer I was afraid of getting. However, it answers my question. *Sigh*

Oh well, back to playing my BB until the revised patch comes out. For me, NOT having T-28s in CMBB is like having the US without Stuarts.

I guess I hate waiting...and waitng...and waiting...(cobwebs now forming)...

Thanks for the responses guys.

Originally posted by poppys:

[...]Several of the stand out games have gone the same route as far as Im concerned and I am afraid that CM will follow suit with a lot of graphics and not much else.[...]

I really would not worry about that. This patch thing isn't looking good for sure, but sh** happens, and I would really not despair seeing next CM pushing the enveloppe far beyond anything us guys recently wasted quality time speculating on.

I guess it only shows how addict we all are about this game, and every little glimpse of an addition is sooooo anticipated, wanted, desired, dreamed of, that it makes it all the more difficult when it's not working the way we want, not including what we feel - often rightfully IMO- should be in. Mine was a proper Pzkpfw I 3D model, (not that I had any plan using it, mind you smile.gif ) and Somua.

Of course, I was a bit lucky on this... I am having one outstanding of a PBEM on CMBB. CMAK is out for the moment, except for the interface project. And with the import map/OBs feature of which I just took the full measure, I have at least a couple of long, 5000 points + CMBB battles coming my way. Cozy, cool winter ahead :cool: .

All this to say: I am sure things will get better. Just keep the faith ;) .

Cheers.

EDIT: Thanks for the cue J2D, I'll have a look at the Finns.

[ November 18, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Tarkus ]