Targetting trucks

I have noticed in a couple of games that the AI has significant trouble targetting trucks. Last night I have 5 trucks spaced apart evenly out in the open within range of AT guns, and not once were they fired upon by AT guns or soldiers. I even drove my targeted tank behind the trucks and the AT guns still did not fire even after losing sight of my tank. On another note I was trying to hit a towed AT gun on a truck and after giving it orders to fire at it, the tank just sat there and never fired, not even at the truck. After a couple of minutes of this I resorted to have my tank run over the AT gun. In a comical scene my tank is actually pushing the truck and still not firing after numerous attempts to target both the AT gun and truck. Eventually the AT gun dismounted and then the tank targetted both the AT gun and truck destroying both. Any ideas, what gives?

Worse than that, last night my troops continued to fire at trucks while taking fire from enemy infantry.

I guess the TacAI goes for the easiest target first.

Makes you want to climb into the hard drive and kick some bmps. "Hey guys, the trucks aren't shooting at you, but those guys are. Fire back please."

Spitfire

I call the AI smart. ATG's are there to kill tanks and if they open fire on any passing soft target they will give their position away and duly be killed.

I suspect the AI gave them V arcs.

Did your tank have a damaged gun , out of ammo ,?

Junk

Rationally the truck is probably a quick easy target to kill. In the game it earns you quick points - in real life it could be carrying ammo, more troops whatever so still kill it quick. You can have a long fire fight against another squad without dong much damage unless they are very close - seems a fair result to me.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Finally the truck is knocked out and they switch to the infantry.

I think the Tac AI picks up units by point value (+ maybe some fudge % ?), this is the reason why it has a strong tendency to target HQs (specially tank HQs), FTs, and so on, even if a more dangerous target is nearer.

I suspect there is a radius of danger in which the troops will fire at close units regardless of more valuable targets. I would imagine the radius is calculated on effective fire - a rifleman 50metres away is ignorable whilst a full squad at the same range is not.

As for going for HQ's that is excellent tactics as you will severely disrupt the effectiveness of the platoon - and only 4 men to kill : )

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

But that last man can be a PITA to nail.

Michael

You probably already know this, but for the newbies reading along, you don't need to kill every last man of an HQ unit to render it ineffective -- Panicked or worse HQ no longer exert "command influence". In my experience, HQ units are a harder to panic than other infantry, but not exorbitantly so.

Actually, especially if you're trying to stop an attack, sometimes just pinning the HQ unit is enough -- the rest of the platoon can't move forward without moving out of command range if the HQ unit is back in the bushes somewhere pinned down by MG fire. Infantry attacks rarely go anywhere if the advancing units are out of command -- even light small arms fire will pin, unless you're dealing with highly experienced troops.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Yes, I've decided that if I ever play CM again I will give myself huge—and I mean absolutely <big><big>HUGE</big></big>—amounts of artillery. I mean to blast, pulverize, incinerate, decimate, totalize and otherwise commit destructive mayhem to the enemy.

Michael

Mmmm. It could be that the Cheery Waffle Thread has found its new mascot. Of course, you'd have to work on the aARGAHRGHAHRgHAGh and the :mad: .