Diamond Viper II Z200 Users: HELLLLLP!!!

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem running a full install of CM 1.12 on my PIII 700 (120mb ram) w/a Diamond Viper II z200 (32mb) vid card into a ViewSonic GS790 19" monitor. This is running under Win 98, DirectX 8.0 and the latest drivers from Diamond and View Sonic.

Here is the prob: no matter what desktop resolution I am running, the game screen seems to be stuck in 800x600 resolution. I make sure to delete the "CM preferences" file from the CMBO game folder before changing my desktop res (I've done this all the way up to 1600x1200). The game does "see" the new resolution setting and asks if that is what I want. I hit "accept." The intro screen, scenario selection screen and briefing screens do pickup the new resolution. But the game screen looks terrible and EXACTLY THE SAME every time, no matter what resolution is running. The terrain is blocky and pixilated, and the units look "cartoonish." Upgrading the bmp's to the 3rd party hi-res mods doesn't help much. It still looks blocky and terrible.

Madmatt thinks that the game is sticking in software rendering mode. He suggested that someone here might have had this same problem, and hopefully mastered it. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike A. :confused:

Do you run any other DirectX-based games ? Do they exhibit any problems ?

I'd suggest loading up the DirectX Diagnostic at C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG. Go to the Display tab > DirectX Features section and check that "Direct3D Acceleration" and "AGP Texture Accleration" are both enabled ("disable" will be highlighted as the selectable button if they are enabled).

As you indicated it seems as if CM is recognizing the resolution you want to use, but as soon as the 3D environment loads up it is stuck at a fixed resolution of 640x480 or 800x600. This would suggest that there is something going on with your card's 3D support. Either a driver or DirectX feature has been disabled that is preventing CM from using a higher resolution in 3D mode.

Also go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Performance tab > Graphics... button and make sure that the Hardware Acceleration slider is set to Full (all the way to the right).