CMx2 modding suggestion

including modding textures on existing units

could we also create custom wireframes? Kinda like in Half Life where you can have a Yoda character model for the 3rd person view but it still has hitboxes and all the other characteristics of a normal player model

in other words i'd like there to be two different entities for a tank/infantryman/at-gun

damagemodel ( this is what the game calculates LOS and the armor model with, and special functions like blowing off turrets and treads, also hard coded camoflauge patterns would be considered in the LOS calcs )

visual model ( eye candy if you will, if you make it pink, the game won't consider this. It will only help us make it prettier. )

Battlefront would have to release patches to update or modify damage models, while players could download player-created visual upgrades. Like 3000 poly Tigers or whatever you'd like.

I believe BFC's said before that custom wireframes wouldn't be in the picture. I suppose since their bread-and-butter work will be creating a number of different games on the same engine, they wouldn't want to see (for instance) a third party morphing their Korean War polygons into Vietnam War polygons before they can release their own Vietnam War title!

I rather like your idea of having a camouflaged/non-camouflaged toggle for vehicles (with alternate graphics?). Toggle on would cut the chance of air attack, for instance. But What would be the downside of camouing - reduced mobility or degraded commander's vision?

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I believe BFC's said before that custom wireframes wouldn't be in the picture. I suppose since their bread-and-butter work will be creating a number of different games on the same engine, they wouldn't want to see (for instance) a third party morphing their Korean War polygons into Vietnam War polygons before they can release their own Vietnam War title!

Well, without unit data (armor, weapon, mobility stats) that wouldn't get people very far.

But it is a huge effort and people would overload their graphics cards and mix up textures and models to create half-textured monsters. Tech support mess.

Of course it's doable, all the FPS mods do that just fine.

Wireframe alone is not enough if you also want rounded things, use shaders etc.

I rather like your idea of having a camouflaged/non-camouflaged toggle for vehicles (with alternate graphics?). Toggle on would cut the chance of air attack, for instance. But What would be the downside of camouing - reduced mobility or degraded commander's vision?

There are a lot of opportunities for BFC around this.

I could never understand why they didn't solve the problem with shared textures by just having optional textures.

If -say- bmps 9922 and 9923 exist, then 9922 is for the left side of the turret, 9923 is for the right side. If 9923 doesn't exist use 9922 for both. Ship the game CD with 9922 only, let modders take care of the rest.

Do same thing for whole vehicles which now not only share a model but also textures.

I mean they do precisely this for snow/winter textures, I could never understand why they didn't enhance it for the shared stuff.