Pzkw IV F2 and Lion of Africa?

VL, thanks for posting the screen shot! Joachim, the artist could've seen a wisent at the famed Berlin Zoo - goodness knows they had all sorts of creatures, exotic and native, before the war. I'm not familiar with the attitudes of pre-WW2 German zoologists, but if the wisent was that rare, it would make sense the Berlin Zoo would have a few to try and preserve their numbers. Then again, Africa was (and still is) a popular vacation spot, so that doesn't answer the question of the bison's provenance.

Hmm. The pictures I've seen of the bison painted on tanks are usually 'the other way round'. That is, the bion shape itself remains unpainted, with a white feathered edge giving the outline.

Eh. have a look at my post on the previous page to see what I'm trying to describe.

Goofy - if it really bugs you that much, just mod the bloody thing to whatever you think it should look like. Problem solved.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

Goofy - if it really bugs you that much, just mod the bloody thing to whatever you think it should look like. Problem solved.

Regards

JonS

Jon, not a problem. I find it very interesting to research the provenance of the emblems that military units chose for their use. My misidentification of the 7. Pz. Rgt. bison as a lion led me to envision admittedly romantic images of the Lion of Africa, the Lion of Babylon, etc. Being told it was actually a bison took me by surprise - then [mentally moving on] I started wondering about the provenance of the choice of a bison. It can be very illuminating, as I'm sure you know, to learn why a unit picked the emblem it did. For example, I learned quite a bit about the 15th-16th century robber-knight when I researched the iron fist emblem of the 17th SS Pzgr. Division "Gotz von Berlichingen." My apologies if I came across in a completely unintended manner.

Andreas - a wardrobe malfunction, now that was funny :D Think the Deutsche Rundfunk took exception to that anatomical feature being so prominently displayed? Heck, if the USAAF got away with scantily-clad vixens in their aircraft nose art ... ;)

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

Andreas - a wardrobe malfunction, now that was funny :D Think the Deutsche Rundfunk took exception to that anatomical feature being so prominently displayed? Heck, if the USAAF got away with scantily-clad vixens in their aircraft nose art ... ;)

Over here nobody would complain about any malfunction of that kind. Due to German Uber-optics, we can usually see that part of the body anyway on standard TV-channels or beaches.

The threshold is if our Uber-optics are not able to spot undies under a almost-everywhere-see-thru dress though we have clear LOS to areas where you'd expect at least traces of them.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Andreas:

Joachim

True or false:

If you have time to post here, you have time to send me a turn. :D

Oh... you sent me one tonight? Didn't check the mail after 1am GMT-1

IIRC you got one last night... after I confidently ignored your turn for 3 days, secure in the knowledge that you would not answer for one week. Or I feared the StuKas again, as did some of my men diving for cover...

...err...what was the topic of this thread... ah, yes... wait....

Is it possible to decide whether it is a lion or a bison by its you-know-what?

Or did we settle that that particular crews qualification as artists is as high as mine. Thus it is the intention what the artist wanted to paint not what ha actually painted that decides whether it is lion or bison. Does the lion have a bison inside him?

Damn, to waffle like that I should go to the cheery challenge...

Gruß

Joachim