Sicily, Italy... mountainous?

Scythe

I'm hoping to get an answer from the devs here smile.gif

I'm asking if there will be missions with plenty of cover (i.e. mountains, gullies, etc...) in at least the sicily and Italy (especially Italy) scenarios/operations/QBs... I know Africa is relatively flat but I'm hoping Italy and Sicily will have lots of cover because I find maps with lots of cover to generally be far more fun to play then just flat ones ;)

Tebaga Gap in Tunisia is, well, a gap in a mountain range.

Very interesting battle there too, BTW. A spendid example of combined arms and joint-ness.

Edit: because my geography was a bit wonky

[ October 29, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

However, in response to a point made in the first post:

Yes the desert is relativly flat. The guys fighting there at the time seemed to notice that too ;) As a result, much of the major fighting occured at and around locations where the landscape wasn't flat.

Even at Alamein, where in a civilian sense the ground is desperately flat, there were any number of dips, hollows, rises, ridges, etc which became militarily very significant. Mityeria and Ruweisat Ridges are but two of the better know examples.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

Even at Alamein, where in a civilian sense the ground is desperately flat, there were any number of dips, hollows, rises, ridges, etc which became militarily very significant. Mityeria and Ruweisat Ridges are but two of the better know examples.

Even better known is Alam Halfa. They even named a battle after that one.

Michael

[ October 29, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by Scythe:

I'm hoping to get an answer from the devs here smile.gif

I'm asking if there will be missions with plenty of cover (i.e. mountains, gullies, etc...) in at least the sicily and Italy (especially Italy) scenarios/operations/QBs... I know Africa is relatively flat but I'm hoping Italy and Sicily will have lots of cover because I find maps with lots of cover to generally be far more fun to play then just flat ones ;)

I'm also hoping to get an answer from the devs here smile.gif

I'm asking if there will be weapons with plenty of bullets (i.e. high explosive, smoke, etc...) in at least the sicily and Italy (especially Italy) scenarios/operations/QBs... I know Africa had relatively complex logistical problems but I'm hoping Italy and Sicily will have lots of bullets because I find units with lots of ammo to generally be far more fun to play then just a couple of rounds ;)

One thing you tend to find in the desert is that highground tends to just pop up from the tabletop like ground around it. You don't see a lot of foot hills unlike more temperate zones. At least that is what I have noticed.

As to cover, to be honest what one should expect is to be forced to attack across low ground against enemies who are enjoying the cover of the highgrounds. For some reason the defender just seems to do nutty things like that.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

One thing you tend to find in the desert is that highground tends to just pop up from the tabletop like ground around it. You don't see a lot of foot hills unlike more temperate zones. At least that is what I have noticed.

That kind of depends on where you are. In Cyrenica there was the range of hills known as the Jebel al Akdar (one of several spellings). In Tunisia there was the Dorsal Central and the Dorsal Oriental. Those had the full panopoly of hills and mountains. Morocco and Algeria also had mountain ranges. No fighting occurred in them, but it might have if the French had been more determined in their resistance and the Axis had decided to intervene there.

Michael

Another thing that deserves to be mentioned in this thread is the wadis, seasonal stream beds. These were gullies that varied considerably in width and depth and bottom conditions. They might constitute no more than small, linear depressions that offer hull down positions to tanks, to more serious ravines impassible to vehicles but offering the opportunity for unobserved movement to infantry. These could be found almost anywhere, but mostly in hilly country and near the coast where the rainfall and subsequent erosion were more common.

Michael