BFC - What about CM2X and mods?

I'm trying to remember past threads.

I WANT to say that we've been given reassurances that the game will remain moddable ...but maybe that was just a post by a regular board member saying that other games out there with high-tech graphics have remained moddable. Does anyone recall that posting?

Jeez, I haven't been much help on your question :rolleyes:

I WANT to say that we've been given reassurances that the game will remain moddable ...but maybe that was just a post by a regular board member saying that other games out there with high-tech graphics have remained moddable. Does anyone recall that posting?

My take on what I think I remember of those threads was that it probably will be moddable, though maybe not in quite the same way as CMx1.

Modding CMx1 is really easy in the sense that you don't need an editor or any special knowledge to manipulate the skins stretched over the hard-coded frame. There are plenty of games out there that don't give you instant access through bmp's, but can still be modded using the right editor. I'll have to admit that I've always shied away from learning anything about that (except for the Vargas pin-up girls on the noses of my B-17's), but there are many large, thriving modding communities out there that get the same effect, but use different tools to get there.

Steve probably didn't go into this much because what the skin is made out of that you stretch over a frame (if that is even what you do) is heavily dependant on a lot of coding decisions which either haven't been made yet, or which he (for good reason) doesn't want to shed light on.

So I will continue to have faith that I will eventually find some use for the stockpile of (tasteful) nineteenth century naked nymphs cavorting. If nothing else, when I checked it out earlier this morning I found some mis-filed raw material for German Unit Portraits, and got three images out of it.

My take on what I think I remember of those threads was that it probably will be moddable, though maybe not in quite the same way as CMx1.

Modding CMx1 is really easy in the sense that you don't need an editor or any special knowledge to manipulate the skins stretched over the hard-coded frame. There are plenty of games out there that don't give you instant access through bmp's, but can still be modded using the right editor. I'll have to admit that I've always shied away from learning anything about that (except for the Vargas pin-up girls on the noses of my B-17's), but there are many large, thriving modding communities out there that get the same effect, but use different tools to get there.

Steve probably didn't go into this much because what the skin is made out of that you stretch over a frame (if that is even what you do) is heavily dependant on a lot of coding decisions which either haven't been made yet, or which he (for good reason) doesn't want to shed light on.

So I will continue to have faith that I will eventually find some use for the stockpile of (tasteful) nineteenth century naked nymphs cavorting. If nothing else, when I checked it out earlier this morning I found some mis-filed raw material for German Unit Portraits, and got three images out of it.

I dont recall past thread about modding for CMX2, but I agree with David. I think the most succes come from CMX1 are scénario editor and mods, that's why you have several web sites dedicated to CM as never I've seen for other games. We know that and BFC too ; and I only wish and hope for CMX2 more polygones for each vehicles, buildings, characters, terrains, etc...

Pat

I dont recall past thread about modding for CMX2, but I agree with David. I think the most succes come from CMX1 are scénario editor and mods, that's why you have several web sites dedicated to CM as never I've seen for other games. We know that and BFC too ; and I only wish and hope for CMX2 more polygones for each vehicles, buildings, characters, terrains, etc...

Pat

Pat

What I was hoping to hear from Steve is if things in CMX1 that are hardcoded and unchangable will be more flexible in CMX2. Examples are plentiful, shape of heads, pants length, jacket length, shared arms, shared BMPs (my pet peave), etc. If we are talking about an engine that is different from CMX1 then I assume that the constrates we are faced with now may not be the case in CMX2.

What it boils down to is this; can I put a lobster head on my panzergrenadier to reflect mutant human allies to the invading Space Lobsters? :rolleyes:

DavidI

PS. Sorry if I dwelled on figure mods, but that is what I do, the same would go with vehicles, scenery, etc.

What I was hoping to hear from Steve is if things in CMX1 that are hardcoded and unchangable will be more flexible in CMX2. Examples are plentiful, shape of heads, pants length, jacket length, shared arms, shared BMPs (my pet peave), etc. If we are talking about an engine that is different from CMX1 then I assume that the constrates we are faced with now may not be the case in CMX2.

What it boils down to is this; can I put a lobster head on my panzergrenadier to reflect mutant human allies to the invading Space Lobsters? :rolleyes:

DavidI

PS. Sorry if I dwelled on figure mods, but that is what I do, the same would go with vehicles, scenery, etc.

DavidI

Philippe has it most correct. The truth is we really don't know how modable CMx2 will be because, while certainly more flexible for us, it is inherently less modable for you guys. It has to do with the way models are made and textured.

Having said that, if things go our way the overall level of modability of CMx2 will be superior to CMx1 in several ways. For sure you guys aren't going to be able to edit the models themselves (that is just not practical), but we do very much want you guys to be able to edit the textures. Just have to see how it is we can do that :D

My thinking right now, and this is VERY early thinking so take this with a pinch of salt, is that we might have to create some sort of import/export tool for textures. If we do then we will BUT... it will not likely come out the second the game (or demo!) is available. The game is top priority and everything else is secodnary. Doesn't mean there aren't other important things to do, like making the textures modable, it's just that we might not be able to offer this functionality right away without delay.

Steve

Philippe has it most correct. The truth is we really don't know how modable CMx2 will be because, while certainly more flexible for us, it is inherently less modable for you guys. It has to do with the way models are made and textured.

Having said that, if things go our way the overall level of modability of CMx2 will be superior to CMx1 in several ways. For sure you guys aren't going to be able to edit the models themselves (that is just not practical), but we do very much want you guys to be able to edit the textures. Just have to see how it is we can do that :D

My thinking right now, and this is VERY early thinking so take this with a pinch of salt, is that we might have to create some sort of import/export tool for textures. If we do then we will BUT... it will not likely come out the second the game (or demo!) is available. The game is top priority and everything else is secodnary. Doesn't mean there aren't other important things to do, like making the textures modable, it's just that we might not be able to offer this functionality right away without delay.

Steve

Steve

"we might have to create some sort of import/export tool for textures."

The prospects of that doesn't bother me much. For my own early CMBO mods (working on the mac) I first had to crack the graphics file with an eight year old copy of ResEdit! Now THAT was SCAREY to work with! :D

The prospects of that doesn't bother me much. For my own early CMBO mods (working on the mac) I first had to crack the graphics file with an eight year old copy of ResEdit! Now THAT was SCAREY to work with! :D