Tree Bug? No fall colors?

Znarf

I've been designing a scenario set in Italy during a cold spell in October. Terrain is dirt. I noticed that there are no "fall colors" for the deciduous trees. I could get fall colors in CMBB. Were the bmp's omitted in CMAK? Something just isn't right when my troop are supposed to be slugging in a wet, slushy field in late October, and the trees a lush green. :eek: :(

Even worse... I set the parameters to November, Light Snow, Frozen - and my trees are in full bloom! :confused: :mad:

Will this be fixed in a patch, or is there a mod available to fix this?

No Fall colors?

Is that in Northern Italy or Southern Italy? I wonder how much fall colors exist in the south.

Yet, don't forget that in CMBB you could get Hot weather with snow falling in June. Thank goodness they made it impossible to get that in North Africa. Good thing IMO. Yet, you can get snow in July in Italy and summer trees without any snow on them.

It needs some more tweaking for sure.

So much care is given to such things as vehicles, ammo, sound effects, explosions, and uniforms, etc... that one has to be greatly impressed, but weather is given such short shrift. It just doesn't make sense when you consider we heard so many times that CMBB or CMAK wouldn't be released until it was ready.

It might make sense if one considers the lone CD theory and why we don't get a better game. It has been said here on this discussion board that some vehicles were left out because the CD was full. Other changes couldn't happen because of the same reason.

Maybe CMAK is the way it is because of the small staff that puts out any CM and the time constraints that existed around it.

No matter what the reason is, I have to have faith that BTS/BFC is learning from their experiences. No one and no game company is perfect. We're all human and we're gonna make mistakes at times.

Lastly, I am comforted by the fact that the game is still the best thing out by far.

Actually we had a pretty lengthy dicsussion all about Italian fall colors. In the end, it was decided that we would not have any autumn trees in CMAK and here is why as stated by Steve in an internal email.

>>>

Cool temps and moisture appear to be what causes color change. At least that is the theory. Truth is nobody really knows. In some areas of the US, which are far more temperate than Italy but far warmer than Maine, the leaves do change colors for about 5 minutes, then fall off the trees :) This is why we have "Leaf Peepers" traveling to New England to see the Fall foliage.

Seriously, it is a a huge tourist business here.

Therefore, Mid/Southern Italy certainly wouldn't have color changes at all, or at least enough to simulate. But I would guess that Northern

Italy (Alps) would see this. However, the front wasn't really that far up North in the Fall of 1944.

>>>

Since it is unlikely any Allied forces would have been in areas where the tree's would turn colors in 1943 or 1944, we decided to leave them out.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Actually we had a pretty lengthy dicsussion all about Italian fall colors. In the end, it was decided that we would not have any autumn trees in CMAK and here is why as stated by Steve in an internal email.

>>>

Cool temps and moisture appear to be what causes color change. At least that is the theory. Truth is nobody really knows. ...

Therefore, Mid/Southern Italy certainly wouldn't have color changes at all, or at least enough to simulate. But I would guess that Northern

Italy (Alps) would see this. However, the front wasn't really that far up North in the Fall of 1944.

>>>

Did it occur to anyone to ask an Italian, instead of just guessing? :confused:

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

Did it occur to anyone to ask an Italian, instead of just guessing? :confused:

Regards

JonS

I am Mediterranean and AFAIK most of the most important Mediterranean trees are evergreen ones. There are some deciduous trees indeed, but there are much more evergreen trees than deciduous ones, so most of our woods look green even in winter.

Originally posted by Fernando:

I am Mediterranean and AFAIK most of the most important Mediterranean trees are evergreen ones. There are some deciduous trees indeed, but there are much more evergreen trees than deciduous ones, so most of our woods look green even in winter.

This is a significant bit of evidence, but I am still left wondering if in the mountains of central Italy, where most of the more grueling fighting took place, many of the non-fir trees lost their leaves even if they did not undergo a lengthy period of color shift.

Michael

Well this year in old IngoLand we had a long, dry summer which gave us a very pretty autumn. Normally we have a relatively wet summer and the leaves just slump off the trees around about September. France is pretty similar - don't know about Italy but having been to Corfu (which is the same rocky, dry scrubbyness as southern Italy) I doubt that there are great swathes of red and gold oak trees. smile.gif