MAC G3 - Locking up every time

cheech

I am only using the demo version for the moment, until the larger version becomes available again to purchase.

Every time I begin the game, after rotating the views around a few times, the computer completely freezes. The mouse pointer is still active on the screen, but I can't manipulate anything, nor can I force quit.

I must always restart.

I already attempted to boost the memory.

please help

What Mac, OS, GameSprockets version, video card/chip, video driver version and other misc. extensions do you have loaded up ? If you have Norton Disk Light loaded up - disable it. Do you have any anti-virus programs loaded up (background scanning) ? You may want to disable them.

How much memory do you have in your Mac and how much are you allocating to CM ?

I am currently running the game on a PowerMac G3 tower, 190+ ram (varies at times), os 8.6, and am unsure about the rest.

I don't have gamesprockets, as the download site for this utility had an error message.

Is game sprockets necessary?

Note: I will eventually be running the program on a powerbook G3 with 256 ram, os 9.

Also, I kept trying random things to get the program to work properly, and it seemed to work without freezing up if I deleted the original system prefs file before playing the game.

I don't know if this is a permanent solution or if I will have to keep deleting the file every time I play.

Let me know if this is a good solution, and if I truly need game sprockets (and if the real version will be available again soon)

thanx for the help

justin

Gamesprockets are necessary for sound in CM, but I'm not sure if they're necessary for anything else. I'd suggest that you install them (v. 1.0 of the Soundsprocket produces the best audio in CM) or make sure to turn off sound in CM (Shift-S - setting listed at top of screen).

Deleting the preferences file will delete your resolution selection (which matters primarily if you're running a resolution that isn't your current desktop res.). It also holds some other settings, but I'm not familiar with their exact content. So you're saying that if you delete the CM prefs file you can play without locking up or do you lock up a little later than you normally would if you hadn't deleted the prefs file ?

Depending on the amount of Video RAM you have in your G3, you may be running in software-rendering mode. This provides a lower-quality and slower display than hardware rendering (and it may be a bit more susceptible to locking up if you have a lot of extensions, control panels or other programs loaded up). I'm not sure what the VRAM minimums are on the Mac side for hardware rendering in CM, but I believe your G3 could support up to 6Mb of VRAM.

Gamesprockets 1.5 has the Soundsprocket 1.0 in it. You can download it from here (several items down):

http://www-mirrorx.cac.washington.edu/apple/US_Apple_SW_Updates/Misc/

As for a video driver, you can try Apple's tech support site or download the ATI's driver for an equivalent board (you may want to try the link for the "XClaim VR"):

http://support.atitech.ca/products/mac/graphics/index.html

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 01-31-2001).]

As per your question, when I delete the preference file, my computer didn't lock up at all.

Granted, I didn't play out an entire game.

But I did play for about 30 minutes or so and the computer responded perfectly.

As for my video ram and the mode I use, I couldn't even guess, but my system is primarily used for graphic design and 3D modeling, so I can't stray too far from that.

I downloaded the soundsprockets and have yet to try it out, but I'm not sure what you mean with regards to the new driver.

Do I need a new one? Will that cause conflictions with my other programs (photoshop)?

Also, is there a preferred color and resolution setting that I should apply before entering the game?

Thanx again

justin

It seems strange that deleting the prefs file would solve your problem, unless you're running in a different resolution/mode than you were before.

You may want to run System Info on your Mac which (I believe) should tell you how much VRAM you have. I don't know if it will tell you what video chip you have.

CM runs in 16-bit color. So as long as you're at 16-bit or higher you should be fine.

I'm not sure where to get the latest video drivers for your G3. ATI usually tells people to go back to Apple Support to get the latest for the built-in video chips. OS 9.0.4/9.1 had some of the latest drivers, but this would require upgrading to a new OS or getting the driver files from someone with Tomeviewer (to extract them from the CD). A little while back ATI updated some of the drivers on their website, but I'm not sure how far back (in terms of chipsets) the update applies to.

A driver update may not be necessary. With your OS I'd suggest not using OpenGL 1.2.1, but instead an older version (1.1.3 or something around there). It's possible that CM isn't completely cooperating with your current set of drivers and you may be running in software-rendering mode. An upgrade to your video drivers may allow you to get the better quality of hardware rendering, but that is a guess at this point.

One thing I discovered (and it took quite a while) is that it will lock up unless I turn off the intro movie (so that it doesn't even start-- not just skip it). IIRC it requires that you hold down the shift key during launch once, and then it will always skip the movie.

The other thing I discovered is that CM crashes unless I use the original video drivers that came with my mac (PB G3/300, now running 8.6). When I switched to 8.6 I had to revert to the old drivers.

I also downloaded a little shareware thing called switchres that lets you force it into 1024x768, but with my PB it then is forced to use software rendering, and I lose transparency effects, so I usually use 640x480.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by cheech:

I am only using the demo version for the moment, until the larger version becomes available again to purchase.

Every time I begin the game, after rotating the views around a few times, the computer completely freezes. The mouse pointer is still active on the screen, but I can't manipulate anything, nor can I force quit.

I must always restart.

please help

Are you still having this problem? if so, do you still the background sound? If so this sounds like exactly the same problem I have been having ever since it was released, actually before. It even made it into the manual. Try disabling the backside cache. Don't ask me why it works. It took me hours of fiddling with Conflict Catcher to find it and CM won't always freeze with the cache on. For a while I thought it was speculative processing. You can try turning that off. Maybe it will work for you.

go to https://www.powerlogix.com for the control panel to disable the backside cache.

• 1 year later...

I must always restart.

please help

I am also using the CM-BB Demo and having repeated freezing on my G3 B&W. It seems to be happening during my movement phase. I'll be getting everyone set up for my turn of movement and then, "freeze" . The mouse works, but can't click on anything and have to reboot. I might get 2 moves in, or just the set up.

My Mac is the G3 B&W 300 Mghz, with 512 meg of ram, 40 gig drive and a Mac Edtion Radeon with 32 meg of Vram on board. I am running in OS 9.21, since alot of my apps I can't afford to bring them up to OS X as of yet.

Any ideas? I have read others having no problems running in 9.2x, but should I make a second drive a 9.1 drive and use this for the game?

Eric

Disable the backside cache. You can get a small control panel that will help you do that. Its from powerlogix . Its called a G3/G4 cache profiler. This seems to work with some people. It never did on my iMac DV SE. CMBO and CMBB demo have never crashed on my iMac G4.

http://www.powerlogix.com/downloads/cacheprofiler15.html

[ September 23, 2002, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Hoopenfaust 101 ]

Getting new drivers with tomeviewer without upgrading or

having the cd.

You can use tomeviewer to get the drivers from most OS updates,

no need for the CD. At least 9.1 update has a whole bunch

of drivers in it.

Tomeviewer (and most other mac software around) can be found from

the Versiontracker

Upgrading the OS to more than 9.1.

9.2x updates are meant only to improve compatibility with OSX.

There's almost no need to update unless you run X. It doesn't

improve things and is likely to break something.

Exeptions are a few software items that require 9.2 to run,

like the new ATI drivers, (you don't need them) and new macs.

Well, I tried to run CM:BO on 9.21,on my G3 B&W with a Radeon 32 board and it failed as well as the CM:BB demo. So I have installed, on a seperate drive, OS 9.1, and both games. They both work perfectly. I'll try the backside cache disable, to see if that fixes it, otherwise this is the way I'm going.

Eric