Questions on Royal Navy

Kingfish

Other Means,

During the Falklands/Malvinas War, there was a letter to AVIATION WEEK & SPACE TECHNOLOGY by, I believe, Nathan Okun, one of the grand old men of armor penetration studies in naval engagements, considering an Exocet vs. BB New Jersey scenario.

While there were a few places where a hit could do some damage, the missile had no chance whatsoever of penetrating the main belt. He felt it would deflagrate on impact. Exocet and Harpoon are not

in the same class, though, as the much bigger and nastier ComBloc cruise missiles.

Small missiles can do a lot of damage if of the right type and hit in a bad location. Some years ago, a Shrike antiradar missile was mistakenly targeted on a U.S. cruiser and fired. Went off high in the mast, and the hundreds of tool steel cubes encasing the burster charge basically wrecked every antenna the ship had, rendering her not only unfit for battle but unable to even communicate by radio for hours.

Regards,

John Kettler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other Means,

During the Falklands/Malvinas War, there was a letter to AVIATION WEEK & SPACE TECHNOLOGY by, I believe, Nathan Okun, one of the grand old men of armor penetration studies in naval engagements, considering an Exocet vs. BB New Jersey scenario.

While there were a few places where a hit could do some damage, the missile had no chance whatsoever of penetrating the main belt. He felt it would deflagrate on impact. Exocet and Harpoon are not

in the same class, though, as the much bigger and nastier ComBloc cruise missiles.

Small missiles can do a lot of damage if of the right type and hit in a bad location. Some years ago, a Shrike antiradar missile was mistakenly targeted on a U.S. cruiser and fired. Went off high in the mast, and the hundreds of tool steel cubes encasing the burster charge basically wrecked every antenna the ship had, rendering her not only unfit for battle but unable to even communicate by radio for hours.

Regards,

John Kettler

The Naval Bombardment force off Sword Beach on morning of 10 July 1944 included HMS Rodney (9 x 16 inch guns with 100 rounds per gun) and cruisers HMS Roberts and HMS Belfast. Sword Beach was 22000 yards from Hill 112 so 6 inch to the 16inch were within range. Not sure if any other ships of the bombardment force were able to add to the throw weight.

The Naval Bombardment force off Sword Beach on morning of 10 July 1944 included HMS Rodney (9 x 16 inch guns with 100 rounds per gun) and cruisers HMS Roberts and HMS Belfast. Sword Beach was 22000 yards from Hill 112 so 6 inch to the 16inch were within range. Not sure if any other ships of the bombardment force were able to add to the throw weight.

Kingfish

2) What unit(s) provided NGF for the attack on Maltot during Operation Jupiter in July '44?

Added to last post I also have this description - an extract from the Artillery SP of 43rd Wessex Commander Royal Artillery (CRA) Brigadier Heath

"Initial attack on the first objective is covered by a 3500 yard barrage at a gun to 35yds. This barrage overlaps the flanks by 500 yds. It is backed by heavy concentrations from AGRA on all known centres of enemy resistance, eg les Duanes 9664 ...."

Heath had under command (for at least the initial support plan) for JUPITER 264 x 24 pdrs from the divisional establishments of 43rd Wessex, 11th Armoured, 15th Scottish and 53rd Welsh Divisions. He also had access to the medium, heavy and super heavy guns of 3rd and 8th AGRA (and the Royal Naval Bombardment Force).

Kingfish

2) What unit(s) provided NGF for the attack on Maltot during Operation Jupiter in July '44?

Added to last post I also have this description - an extract from the Artillery SP of 43rd Wessex Commander Royal Artillery (CRA) Brigadier Heath

"Initial attack on the first objective is covered by a 3500 yard barrage at a gun to 35yds. This barrage overlaps the flanks by 500 yds. It is backed by heavy concentrations from AGRA on all known centres of enemy resistance, eg les Duanes 9664 ...."

Heath had under command (for at least the initial support plan) for JUPITER 264 x 24 pdrs from the divisional establishments of 43rd Wessex, 11th Armoured, 15th Scottish and 53rd Welsh Divisions. He also had access to the medium, heavy and super heavy guns of 3rd and 8th AGRA (and the Royal Naval Bombardment Force).

don't forget that Japan broke the rules big time... how about the 16" Yamato class.

I don't know where to find it but remember reading somewhere that someone asked the Japanese if they were building any 40,000 or 50,000 ton battleships. They could legitimately say no because... the Yamato class was over 60,000 tons (63,000 tons if my memory serves correctly).

A lot of the impetus of the treaties were to avoid the "arms race" that occurred prior to WW1 between Germany and the UK that raised tensions significantly. In the end, that goal wasn't achieved, obviously.

don't forget that Japan broke the rules big time... how about the 16" Yamato class.

I don't know where to find it but remember reading somewhere that someone asked the Japanese if they were building any 40,000 or 50,000 ton battleships. They could legitimately say no because... the Yamato class was over 60,000 tons (63,000 tons if my memory serves correctly).

A lot of the impetus of the treaties were to avoid the "arms race" that occurred prior to WW1 between Germany and the UK that raised tensions significantly. In the end, that goal wasn't achieved, obviously.

Originally posted by Carl Puppchen:

Try 18", and yes they were breaking the rules, however they withdrew from the treaty before anyone found out, so that's OK then!

Originally posted by Carl Puppchen:

Try 18", and yes they were breaking the rules, however they withdrew from the treaty before anyone found out, so that's OK then!

Originally posted by Mick15:

The Naval Bombardment force off Sword Beach on morning of 10 July 1944 included HMS Rodney (9 x 16 inch guns with 100 rounds per gun) and cruisers HMS Roberts and HMS Belfast.

I have a feeling that HMS Roberts was actually a monitor rather than a light cruiser, something in the back of my mind says she carried 2x15" guns, ah here we are, complete with piccie.

Roberts class monitors

Originally posted by Mick15:

The Naval Bombardment force off Sword Beach on morning of 10 July 1944 included HMS Rodney (9 x 16 inch guns with 100 rounds per gun) and cruisers HMS Roberts and HMS Belfast.

I have a feeling that HMS Roberts was actually a monitor rather than a light cruiser, something in the back of my mind says she carried 2x15" guns, ah here we are, complete with piccie.

Roberts class monitors