"Smoke is too benign" ... discuss

Guest Mike

Thanks Flamingknives - that certainly looks like the info I thought I'd seen.

I note that the "ideal conditions" listed includes a 10mph wind, and that the increased expenditure for other conditions is to maintain a 500yard screen - presumably with no wind the screen would be much smaller for a given number of bombs, but probably much thicker due to less dispersal.

CM's model seesm to be no wind - the screen is small and stationary and completely blocks sight.

But I dont' think you get 2 minutes of smoke from a 2" bomb!!

A set of WW2 figure gaming rules I used to use a lot created an "instant" screen of triangular shape for "x" distance downwind and of "y" distance across the base - the MPI was the sharp angle. If there was no wind then IIRC you got a circular screen of "y" diameter around the MPI, if there was only a light wind then the length of the screen was 1/2 "x", and if there was a strong wind then the length of the screen was 1/2 "x" and it only provided partial obscuration.

I forget what the actual numbers were except I think a salvo of 4-6 rockets might give you 500m, but it couldn't be stoked, and a 50mm mortar gave you x = 150m, y = 50m.

My only issue with smoke it is too vertical in the game, it doesn't create a cloud it creates a vertical stream of smoke and allows the attack then to supress right next to where they layed the smoke, and doesn't allow the defender to do anything except pray they don't get hit.

It really is just a game engine exploit and not a realistic model for smoke behaviour.

A smoke cloud should stop area fire atleast 10 metres away from the inital point of impact. Or if they fire it behind the target allow a sliding scale of visibility out of the smoke higher then the scale into the smoke. This is realistic. Best example I can give you on smoke grenades is in the new CSS smoke grenades, a person in the cloud on the edge has a far better chance spotting people outside the cloud looking in.

Originally posted by Ardem:

My only issue with smoke it is too vertical in the game, it doesn't create a cloud it creates a vertical stream of smoke...and [is] not a realistic model for smoke behaviour.

That's more or less true of base eject smoke, but a little closer to reality for WP. BFC may have been limited by the engine in what it could depict, but they may have also been trying to compromise between the behaviors of the two types. Hopefully the next time around we will get more differentiated smoke behavior and more accurate modeling.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

That is approximately the worst mod I've ever seen. Perhaps there should be an award for an accomplishment like that. Such as an all-expenses paid weekend for one in Desert Wells, California.

Michael

It is rather incomprehensible why Andrew chose to use leather gaiter straps on the Canadian infantry mod, when web anklets in Canadian service never had them. The "generic" shoulder titles I can live with.