Feels so good to advance

When you order me, and blood flows, and you send me out to die

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Ooh, Grog Dorosh

Can't you hear my heart beat

For the very first time?

Originally posted by Tero:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

No, this is the closing of the assembly period - the attack goes at X Hour, to be determined but supposedly at first light the next day.

And so it is. I need to get glasses. smile.gif

Not at all - being so far north it is probably dark 23 hours of the day by this time of year. ;)

Originally posted by FM Paul Heinrik:

JasonC,

Very good "layman" explanation. I was kinda lost without some commentary on the when, what, why. Does the orders specify which company was Michael's?

Does everyone agree with his assessment of the events at hand?

Yup, the first sentence shows that the order emanated from the command post of the 6th Company.

I thought the assessment was very good. I am waiting for JasonC to set it up in CM and illustrate it with the game engine. :D

Andreas,

Yes you're right, the regimental musicians were at the Rgt.Arzt disposal. He could assign them as Hilfskrankenträger and Pflegepersonal if and as he saw fit. Serving as the latter, they'd do service in the HVP, tending patients in a operation team, i.e. functioning as civilian nurses do.

If assigned to the former, they'd be issued red cross armbands and armed only with pistols.

Not that I know what regimental musicians were normally armed with, I must confess.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Yup, the first sentence shows that the order emanated from the command post of the 6th Company.

He is with the 2/26th Reg. right? Where is the rest of the 2/26th? Or was he attached to the 1/21st Reg. for this operation? I'm kinda confused by the diagram because the 6/26th is lining up with the 1/21st Reg.

From the diagram, the 1/26th is to his right the 2/21st is to his left and behind (or with him) is the 1/21st. It seems odd that he is not near his battalion. Or is that 5th coy to his left also from the 26th reg.?

I'm also assuming that the 21st reg. is the other inf. reg. attached to the 24th Pz Div. Did they have operational armor at this time? (I can look that all up when I get home.)

If they handed me the orders I would have really fubar'ed it up :D

Originally posted by FM Paul Heinrik:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

He is with the 2/26th Reg. right? Where is the rest of the 2/26th? Or was he attached to the 1/21st Reg. for this operation? I'm kinda confused by the diagram because the 6/26th is lining up with the 1/21st Reg.

From the diagram, the 1/26th is to his right the 2/21st is to his left and behind (or with him) is the 1/21st. It seems odd that he is not near his battalion. Or is that 5th coy to his left also from the 26th reg.?

I'm also assuming that the 21st reg. is the other inf. reg. attached to the 24th Pz Div. Did they have operational armor at this time? (I can look that all up when I get home.)

If they handed me the orders I would have really fubar'ed it up :D </font>

Originally posted by Breakthrough:

Getting long in the tooth to portray a frontline infantryman; for this show we did a company headquarters (I am on the right). I may go to the VE Day commemmorations in Ottawa as a kriegsberichter - there was a sizeable German contingent at the D-Day commemmoration this year.

del22.jpg

You can go as Heinrich Himmler! The resemblence is uncanny and you already have the personality down pat..... :eek:

He he :D

I'm working on it, I'm working on it - lol.

I have the forces and a sample bit of random terrain that seems adequate. I have a rough set up, but it is not a real set up with accurate placement yet, really just sub-element tasking.

I will run through the early stages and save, to illustrate what I take to be the fire plan and opening. Ought to be suitable for continuation by others from the saved game file.

It is set up at a German attack, 1200 points vs. 800 for the Russians. I made up a Russian force out of whole cloth, since there is no info about it really. Heavy weapons in trenches as "bunkers", since CM bunkers don't really do the job correctly.

The Germans have a regular motorized Pz Gdr company plus half of a pioneer platoon (HQ and 3 S teams, the SL teams and FTs dropped). Plus 2 StuG IIIB and 2 75mm leIG, and artillery support all meant to fire to a fire plan or as prep. The Germans start on a reserve slope, the Russians on, around, and behind a higher ridge. Cover is limited - farmland with light trees, with medium battle damage.

Germans don't really deserve good info about the Russians in front of them, other than to say it is an infantry force type (no armor) with plenty of wire, and of course some MGs etc in trenches.

Looking at the match up I doubt a human CM player would use the original, real German plan. Against the AI mebe. Looks moderately hard against a decent human defender.