Advice for Newbie

I bought CMBO when it came out and I own CMBB also, but the funny thing is I probably played both a total of 10 hours. I just could never grasp the interface, etc...After putting the effort into reading the CMBB manual and running through the tutorial I think I finally get it and I am hooked!!! It took me 5 years to get the Battle front Flu but I got it and just cant shake it....

The CMBB version I have is the CDV german version I bought about well over a year ago and recently spent about 5 hours downloading the patches and have actually just got into playing it after sitting on my hard drive for ever...Long story short I have to reinstall the game and I dont wont to go through the pain of downloading these patches again, not to mention I dont know where the hell I found them and of course I did not save them... My wife is gone until later this weekend (took the baby also) and time is of the essence, I dont want to go through the hassles of redownloading all the pathces and not to mention all the mods I found....

I dont prefer the Eastern Front over the West and to be honest I have not played either enough to like one game over the other....Now, I found that both CMBB and CMBO retail editions are at my local drug dealer,err I mean software store. I am not rich but I am willing to charge the CMBB retail edition so I can just sit down and enjoy some peace and quiet and play one of these great games and not have to spend a whole night downloading pathces and Mods for them..So, should I buy the CMBB retail edition ? Or, play CMBO ? Or is it worth buying the CMBO retial edition?

Help me!!!! I will come back and read after work tommorow. Then head out to my favorite software store and pick up CMBB or just stick with CMBO based on what you guys suggest.

Thanks!

I think CMAK is by far the best of the games.

Plus if you mailorder it you don't have to deal with all that CDV mess. (even if you have the CDV sold CMAK version the BFC patch will apply and wax all that safedisk, waffelgrenadier and patch download nonsense).

And it only cost half price. Easy choice I'd say. Although it is named "Afrika Korps" you can pretty much play all of the ETO.

Depending on your internet connection someone could MSN the patch to you? If your on 56k it could take a while but might be faster than downloading of a website. I think I have most of the patches stored.

If you want to hook up, email me thru the forum, just click on my name.

Meach

Get CMAK (not CDV version- I won't even begin to rant about that again..) and get some desert warfare going- it's got all the refinements as standard. You can always download the patch at a later date- but you won't worry about that for a while when you get playing the latest and greatest!

I'd say either CMBB or CMAK. Depends what interests you (Eastern Front vs. Med, Russians vs. Western Allies against Germans, Snow vs. Sand). I personally see no real difference between the two games though I am sure there are some game engine tweaks in CMAK not found in CMBB (plus dust clouds and multi-turret vehicles if that really grabs you).

You can get CMBB in retail stores now ($30 in Canada), fully patched to 1.03 version plus many of the best mods on disc so no download issues to deal with (Not sure if BFS will patch it anymore - they state 1.03 is the last they'll do for CMBB).

CMAK is only available online at the moment (at least in N. America - Europe may be different with CDV) and you will have to download the 1.01 patch.

You can't go wrong with either version so start off with the theatre that interests you most.

Good Luck and Enjoy.